South Africa is about to obtain a further 20 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine from pharmaceutical big Pfizer.
Well being minister Zweli Mkhize informed the Sunday Times that these vaccines have been secured and that authorities was now simply awaiting producers to submit remaining agreements with particulars of supply dates and precise quantities.
Additional vaccine orders can be introduced as soon as particulars had been finalised, Mkhize stated.
“We’re negotiating, largely with Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, however a few of it’s coming by way of the African Vaccine Acquisition Process Crew and Covax.
“We’re moderately comfy that what we ha0ve paid for, signed for and are negotiating for will cowl the numbers that we wish to vaccinate,” he stated.
Mkhize additionally confirmed that the nation has sufficient cupboard space to soundly safe the vaccines on the appropriate temperatures, and that authorities plans to problem a proper tender course of subsequent week.
First vaccines are coming
Mkhize’s shock announcement would imply that the nation has secured the provision of over 40 million vaccine doses, bringing it a lot nearer to the purpose of vaccinating two-thirds of the inhabitants.
In a briefing on Wednesday night (27 January), Mkhize confirmed that a million dosages of the vaccine are scheduled to go away India on Sunday (31 January) and can arrive within the nation on Monday (1 February).
An extra 500,000 vaccine doses are set to reach within the nation later in February.
Beneath are the opposite key factors from the briefing.
- South Africa will start vaccinating by concentrating on its 1.25 million well being employees and essentially the most weak;
- The goal is to vaccinate 67% of the inhabitants by the top of the 12 months in order to realize herd immunity;
- Authorities stays the only purchaser of vaccines and can distribute it to provincial governments and the non-public sector;
- The vaccination system will probably be based mostly on a pre-vaccination registration and appointment system;
- All these vaccinated will probably be positioned on a nationwide register and supplied with a vaccination card.