Tory Lanez, who allegedly fired shots that wounded fellow rapper Megan Thee Stallion while they were inside an SUV in the Hollywood Hills, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to felony assault and gun charges.
Lanez — who last month implied his innocence by posting on Twitter that “the truth will come to light” — was charged Oct. 8 with one felony count each of assault with a semiautomatic firearm and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle.
The 28-year-old Canadian rapper, whose real name is Daystar Peterson, is also facing allegations that he personally used a firearm and inflicted great bodily injury and could be sentenced to up to 22 years and eight months in state prison if convicted as charged, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
He is free on $190,000 bond, and his attorney entered the plea on his behalf.
A date is scheduled to be set Jan. 20 for a hearing to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to allow the case against Lanez to proceed to trial.
“I have all faith in God to show that … love to all my fans and people that have stayed true to me & know my heart … a charge is not a conviction,” he previously posted on Twitter.
In a video posted on Instagram Live following the July 12 shooting, Megan Thee Stallion said, “… Tory shot me. You shot me and you got your publicist and your people … lying… Stop lying.”
She said police officers drove her to a hospital, where she underwent surgery to remove the bullets, and added she was “incredibly grateful to be alive.”
In an op-ed published in the New York Times, she wrote that she was “recently the victim of an act of violence by a man” and that she was initially silent about what had happened “out of fear for myself and my friends.”
“Even as a victim, I have been met with skepticism and judgment,” she wrote. “The way people have publicly questioned and debated whether I played a role in my own violent assault proves that my fears about discussing what happened were, unfortunately, warranted.”
At a court hearing last month, Lanez was ordered to stay away from her.
The criminal complaint identifies the victim only as “Megan P.”; the 25-year-old rapper’s real name is Megan Pete.
The District Attorney’s Office, without fully identifying the victim, said Lanez got into an argument with a female friend while riding in an SUV and alleged that he fired several shots at her feet as she left the vehicle.
The Houston native, who was the musical guest during the season premiere of “Saturday Night Live” on Oct. 3, gained fame in part through freestyling videos shared widely on Instagram. Her song “Savage” went viral this year on TikTok and topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart in May, while her provocative collaboration with Cardi B on “WAP” garnered her more attention.
Growers and retailers say demand for smaller turkeys and dishes has already outpaced supply this year as families scale down on holiday dinners and traditions. Here’s how you can scale down your own dinners, while keeping the spirit of festivities the same as years past.
Lanez recently released his fifth album “Daystar,” using multiple tracks to address the accusations. In one song he raps, “How the f— you get shot in your foot … don’t hit no bones or tendons?”
Lanez’ songs have also focused on those lining up against him, which includes other rappers and Los Angeles Lakers guard J.R. Smith, who posted on Instagram in August, “This clown shoots a female an y’all listening to his music like its ok!”
During a radio interview in Chicago, Oakland artist Kehlani announced that she would remove Lanez’ verse from “Can I.”
“As someone with a large platform, as someone that people look up to, as a woman that makes other women feel safe and empowered, people were asking me, `Are you gonna keep somebody on it who doesn’t necessarily make us feel safe or empowered as a woman?”’ she was quoted as saying by Uproxx, a website owned by Warner Music Group, which reps Kehlani.
In a video of “In The Air” posted to Twitter last month, Lanez addressed broader social justice issues and also focused on his personal plight.
“What do you do when in court lawyers is tellin’ you not to talk and as soon as you don’t, you playin’ the villain for it?” Lanez raps.
Toward the end of the track, the rapper thanks God, saying, “He’s using Megan as a vessel and a test of faith.”
Scarlett Johansson Gets Slimed by Colin Jost While Accepting MTV’s Generation Award – NBC4 Washington
The 36-year-old “Black Widow” star accepted the Generation Award with a pre-taped segment that aired during the awards ceremony on Sunday. She began her acceptance speech by thanking her co-workers from throughout her career, in addition to expressing appreciation for her fans.
“I never would have been able to continue to evolve as an actor for the last 30 years without the support and dedication of so many cast and crew members that make up the nomadic traveling-circus family that are movie sets, and the dedication and hard work of so many people that goes into making any movie continues to inspire me as a performer,” Johansson said.
“Thank you so much to my fans for riding the wave with me and for supporting my career so I can continue to have the good fortune to pursue the job that is my passion,” she continued. “I realize what an absolute gift it is to be able to have the opportunity to do what I love, and I couldn’t do it without your continued support.”
Things got wild as Johansson was in the process of introducing a previously unseen clip from “Black Widow” when Jost walked over to her in their home and poured a bowl of green slime over her head.
“What the f—?” Johansson said.
“MTV! You got slimed,” Jost responded.
After the “Rough Night” actress explained that the 38-year-old “Saturday Night Live” star was thinking of Nickelodeon, he replied, “I’m very, very sorry.”
She fired back, “Just get a towel,” and then wouldn’t let him attempt to dab her face with it.
In introducing the star prior to the segment, Billy Porter quipped, “She’s the only Oscar nominee I know who can bench press more than Chris Hemsworth and look hotter doing it.”
Earlier this month, a press release announced Johansson would receive the award.
“The highly coveted ‘Generation Award’ celebrates beloved actors whose diverse contributions to both film and television have turned them into household names,” the statement said in part.
Prior to the Generation Award, Johansson had been nominated for six MTV Movie & TV Awards prizes over the years. She nabbed the golden popcorn in 2013 for “Best Fight” for “The Avengers.”
NowThis Editor Versha Sharma to Take Over at Teen Vogue After Controversy Over Previous Pick – NBC4 Washington
Teen Vogue has chosen Versha Sharma, a top editor at NowThis, to replace Alexi McCammond as editor-in-chief after a swirl of controversy over McCammond’s past anti-Asian tweets.
Sharma takes over May 24 at the digital-only publication after McCammond and the Condé Nast title parted ways before her appointment took effect.
“I am incredibly excited and grateful for this awesome opportunity,” Sharma tweeted of Monday’s announcement.
Anna Wintour, the global editorial director of Vogue and chief content officer for Condé Nast, said in a statement that Sharma is a “natural leader” with a “global perspective and deep understanding of local trends and issues — from politics and activism to culture and fashion.”
Sharma was named managing editor of NowThis, a digital news site, in 2015. In 2012, she covered the U.S. presidential election for MSNBC.com. She is the recipient of an Edward R. Murrow award with the NowThis Reports team for a short documentary about the aftermath of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, and she’s on the board of directors of the Online News Association.
The daughter of Indian immigrants, Sharma grew up in Louisiana and lives in New York.
McCammond, who is Black, was tapped in March at age 27 as the incoming editor in chief to replace Lindsay Peoples Wagner, but derogatory tweets from when she was a teenager and college student in 2011 caused a backlash after the appointment was announced.
Sharma said in the statement issued by Teen Vogue that she has long admired the magazine for “building and fostering a community of young people who want to change the world.”
John Mulaney and Wife Anna Marie Tendler Break Up After 6 Years of Marriage – NBC4 Washington
After more than six years of marriage, comedian John Mulaney and wife Anna Marie Tendler are splitting up.
Individual reps for each party confirmed the news in a statement to Page Six on Monday. E! News has reached out to reps for comment.
“I am heartbroken that John has decided to end our marriage,” Tendler expressed through her spokesperson. “I wish him support and success as he continues his recovery.”
A spokesperson for Mulaney also confirmed the news of the divorce to the outlet and added, “John will not have any further comment as he continues to focus on his recovery and getting back to work.”
The “Big Mouth” actor and accomplished artist tied the knot in July 2014 in Boiceville, New York. Friend and “Schitt’s Creek” actor Dan Levy served as the couple’s officiant at their wedding.
The 38-year-old comedian completed a stint in rehab in December 2020, where he stayed for 60 days to treat issues relating to cocaine and alcohol addiction. He moved to outpatient care in February 2021.
Mulaney has been open when it comes to discussing his struggles with addiction, most notably in a 2019 interview with Esquire.
“I drank for attention,” he shared with the magazine. “I was really outgoing, and then at twelve, I wasn’t. I didn’t know how to act. And then I was drinking, and I was hilarious again.”
The “Saturday Night Live” alum is set to officially return to work on the comedy circuit after completing outpatient care — booking four mid-May shows at the New York City venue City Winery. Tickets for those shows are sold out.
Tendler, for her part, is pursuing a Master of Arts degree from NYU Steinhardt in fashion and textile studies.
Los Angeles Lakers Nine-Part Docuseries Coming to Hulu in 2022 – NBC4 Washington
Los Angeles Lakers Nine-Part Docuseries Coming to Hulu in 2022 originally appeared on NBC Sports Washington
The Los Angeles Lakers are getting their own version of “The Last Dance.”
A nine-part docuseries on the Lakers will be coming to Hulu in 2022, the team announced on Monday. Unlike ESPN’s highly popular “The Last Dance” — which centered around Michael Jordan’s final season with the Chicago Bulls — this series will detail the last four decades of the Lakers. That includes everything from Jerry Buss purchasing the organization, to Magic Johnson and the “Showtime” Lakers, to the Shaq-and-Kobe dynasty, to LeBron James and Anthony Davis leading the team to its latest championship last season.
Those are some rather compelling Hollywood storylines.
The series will include new interviews with more than 35 members of the Lakers organization, including Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O’Neal, as well as never-before-seen interviews with the late Jerry Buss. It will be directed by Antoine Fuqua, whose Muhammad Ali documentary “What’s My Name?” won a Sports Emmy for outstanding long documentary.
“When Dr. Buss bought the Lakers in 1979, he sat alone at center court of the Forum and thought of all the possibilities,” Lakers CEO Jeanie Buss said in a statement. “But even in his wildest dreams, my father could not have imagined what the next decades would bring for our organization, our league and our city of Los Angeles. I am thrilled that the true story of the Lakers will finally be shared with the world — and that we are in such capable hands with Hulu and Antoine, a director whose storytelling I’ve admired for years.”
The 1980s Lakers will also be the subject of a drama series on HBO, with a cast that includes John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss, Adrien Brody as Pat Riley, Quincy Isaiah as Magic Johnson and Sally Field as Jessie Buss.
Mike Gavin contributed to this story
Miss Mexico Andrea Meza Crowned Miss Universe 2021 – NBC4 Washington
And we have a new Miss Universe.
After more than a year delay due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Miss Universe competition was finally held Sunday at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida. Mario Lopez and former Miss Universe Olivia Culpo, who won the crown in 2012, co-hosted the show, which featured a special performance by Luis Fonsi.
Taking home the ultimate crown this year was Miss Mexico Andrea Meza, who wowed the selection community with her beauty and brains.
During the final statement round, Miss Mexico was asked to address the topic of changing beauty standards.
“We live in a society that more and more is more advanced and as we have advanced as a society, we have advanced with stereotypes,” she shared via translator. “Nowadays, beauty is not only the way we look. For me, beauty radiates not only in our spirits, but in our hearts and the way we conduct ourselves. Never permit someone to tell you that you are not valuable.”
And just minutes before, Miss Mexico also faced the final question round where she was asked to share how she would have handled the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I believe there is not a perfect way to handle this hard situation such as COVID-19,” she said. “However, I believe that what I would have done, was create the lockdown even before everything was that big because we lost so many lives and we cannot afford that. We have to take care of our people. That’s why I would have taken care of them since the beginning.”
Before the show, Paula M. Shugart, who serves as the president of the Miss Universe Organization, addressed the pandemic and how the pageant was staying safe.
“We have spent months planning and preparing safety precautions to develop this edition of Miss Universe – one that will be memorable, special and totally innovative,” she said in a statement.
Beauty queens from 74 countries and territories competed in the pageant, however just 21 contestants advanced to the final round. After first competing in the swimsuit contest, which you can see photos from here, 10 moved on to the evening gown competition. Five contestants were selected to participate in the question and answer round.
The last time the Miss Universe pageant was held was in 2019, when Miss South Africa, aka Zozibini Tunzi, took home the ultimate prize. Miss Puerto Rico Madison Anderson was the first runner-up and Miss Mexico Sofa Aragn was the second runner-up.
At the time, Tunzi really impressed the judges with her answer to the question, “What is the most important thing we should be teaching girls today?”
She replied, “I think the most important thing we should be teaching young girls today is leadership. It’s something that has been lacking in young girls and women for a very long time. Not because we don’t want to, but because what society has labelled women to be. I think we are the most powerful beings in the world.”
Of passing the torch to her successor, Tunzi said in a statement, “I always knew that my reign as Miss Universe would be unlike any other. While it was nothing like what I had imagined my year to be, this year has opened doors for me I could never have imagined.I am so grateful for the opportunity to connect virtually with people all over the world and elevate the causes I care most about.”