Over 100 killed: UK says it’s ‘premature to speculate’ on cause of massive Beirut blast

LONDON
– Britain said on Wednesday that it was too early to speculate on the cause of
a massive blast that ripped through Beirut, killing at least 100 people.

US President Donald Trump on
Tuesday cast the explosion as a possible attack, though Lebanese leaders said
that it was likely caused by highly explosive material that had been stored at
warehouses in the capital for years.

When asked about speculation
about the causes of the blast, British junior education minister Nick Gibb
said: “The Lebanese authorities are of course investigating the cause of
that tragedy and before we have the results of that inquiry it is premature to
speculate.”

Gibb also told Sky that Britain
was discussing what technical and financial assistance could be offered to
Lebanon.

‘Over 100 lost their lives’

The
huge blast at Beirut port devastated entire neighbourhoods of the city, killing
more than 100 people and injuring over 4 000, the Lebanese Red Cross told AFP on Wednesday.

“Until now, over 4 000
people have been injured and over 100 have lost their lives. Our teams are
still conducting search and rescue operations in the surrounding areas,” a
statement said, according to AFP.

Source link

قالب وردپرس