Connect with us

Haiti News

U.S. women shut out Haiti to open Olympic qualifying

Published

on

HOUSTON — Christen Press scored the opening goal off a shoeless assist from Lynn Williams and the United States beat Haiti 4-0 Tuesday in its opening match of the CONCACAF women’s Olympic qualifying tournament.

The U.S., which won the Women’s World Cup last summer, extended its unbeaten streak to 24 games dating to a loss to France a year ago.

Press’ goal came in the second minute on a cross from Williams, who had lost her cleat in her run up the field. It was the 52nd international goal for Press.

Williams added a goal in the 67th minute on a header off a corner kick from Megan Rapinoe. Lindsey Horan came off the bench and scored on her first touch in the 73rd minute and Carli Lloyd capped it with a stoppage-time goal.

It was the first competitive match for U.S. coach Vlatko Andonovski, who took over when Jill Ellis stepped down last year.

Lloyd made her 15th start in Olympic qualifying, passing Abby Wambach for most in team history. Rapinoe, the reigning Ballon d’Or winner and FIFA World Player of the Year, played off the bench in the second half.

An announced crowd of 4,363 attended the game, which was hit in the first half by a sudden downpour at BBVA Compass Stadium.

The United States looked rusty at the start and Haiti appeared to tie the score with a goal in the 18th minute, but it was called back. Then the top-ranked Americans simply wore down their opponents in the second half.

Eight teams are playing in the tournament, with the title match set for Feb. 9 in Carson, California. The top two finishers will earn berths to the Tokyo Games this summer.

The United States and Haiti were in the same group with Costa Rica and Panama, which played in the early match Tuesday. Costa Rica won 6-1.

The U.S. has qualified for every Olympics since women’s soccer was introduced in 1996. The team has five consecutive titles in the qualifying tournament.

Six teams have already made the field for Tokyo: Japan, Brazil, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Sweden and New Zealand.

Haiti advanced to the tournament by winning its qualifying group in the Caribbean region.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Haiti News

Miami to host 2021 WBC semis, final

Published

on

By

The 2021 World Baseball Classic semifinals and finals will take place at Marlins Park in Miami, it was announced Tuesday.

The venues for the expanded 20-team competition, scheduled for March 9-23, 2021, also will include two Taiwan sites, Japan’s Tokyo Dome and Chase Field in Phoenix.

The 16 teams that participated in the 2017 WBC will be invited to return — Australia, Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, the United States and Venezuela. Four other teams will be determined during qualifying games next month in Tucson, Ariz.

The 2021 WBC will begin with four pools of five teams competing in a first-round round-robin format. The top two teams from each pool will advance to two quarterfinal pools, to be held in Tokyo (March 16-17) and Miami (March 19-20). The semifinals and finals will be played at the Miami Marlins’ home venue March 21-23.

“Being selected to host all three rounds, including the finals, reaffirms Miami’s place as a global destination for all the biggest events, and Marlins Park is the ideal world-class entertainment venue to play host,” Marlins CEO Derek Jeter said in a news release.

Marlins Park hosted games in each of the last two WBC tournaments.

“The excitement and passion on display in Marlins Park during the last World Baseball Classic showed what we already knew to be true about this market — that South Florida has an undying love for their heritage and the game of baseball,” Jeter said. “We are proud to welcome fans from across the globe to Marlins Park for this event, and we are excited to show off all the new enhancements we have made to the ballpark since the tournament was last played here.”

The U.S. won the 2017 WBC championship, defeating Puerto Rico 8-0 in the finals at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Japan won the first two World Baseball Classics (2006, 2009) and the Dominican Republic prevailed in 2013.

–Field Level Media

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Haiti News

Yankees’ Severino set to have Tommy John surgery

Published

on

By

New York Yankees right-hander Luis Severino will undergo Tommy John surgery, general manager Brian Cashman confirmed Tuesday.

The two-time All-Star was shut down last week after experiencing discomfort in his right forearm. He was sent from spring training camp in Tampa, Fla., to New York for medical testing.

Surgery and subsequent rehabilitation would sideline the 26-year-old for the entire 2020 season.

“I am extremely disappointed that I will not be able to put on a Yankees uniform and compete with my teammates this year, but I promise that I will be working tirelessly during this process to come back stronger than ever to make the greatest fans in baseball proud,” Severino said in a statement released Tuesday night.

Severino made just three starts in 2019 after dealing with injuries to his right rotator cuff and lat muscle. He posted a 1-1 record with a 1.50 ERA in 12 innings in the regular season. In the postseason, he started two games and gave up nine hits and two runs in 8 1/3 innings.

The Dominican Republic native earned his second straight All-Star nod in 2018, finishing 19-8 with a 3.39 ERA and 220 strikeouts in 32 starts (191 1/3 innings). He owns a 42-26 record with a 3.46 ERA in 99 career appearances (88 starts) with the Yankees.

Severino signed a four-year, $40 million extension in spring training in February 2019.

–Field Level Media

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Haiti News

UN expresses its concern in latest Haiti Crisis – The Haitian Times

Published

on

By

Photo Credit: Juno7

The United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti expressed concern after the acts of the police and military on Sunday Feb. 23, reported Juno7.  In a statement released the day after the events, it condemned the use of violence as a means of redress.

The United Nations calls on “all sectors of national life, in particular the police who demand better working conditions, to avoid any situation which could cause tensions to escalate and jeopardize the security of citizens.

read more

Haitian Times

Haitian Times

The Haitian Times was founded in 1999 as a weekly English language newspaper based in Brooklyn, NY.The newspaper is widely regarded as the most authoritative voice for Haitian Diaspora.

Haitian Times

Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Haiti News

Three people are banned from leaving Haiti – The Haitian Times

Published

on

By

Photo Credit: Juno7

Three people including businessman Antonny Benett, owner of “Mache Ti Tony”, as well as Hans Rémy and Jonny Farah are banned from leaving the country.  The prosecutor of the Court of First Instance of Port-au-Prince addressed three letters dated Feb. 23, to the Director of Immigration, Joseph Cianciulli according to Juno7.  Letters in which he asked Cianciulli to take all necessary measures to prohibit the aforementioned individuals from leaving the country. 

read more

Haitian Times

Haitian Times

The Haitian Times was founded in 1999 as a weekly English language newspaper based in Brooklyn, NY.The newspaper is widely regarded as the most authoritative voice for Haitian Diaspora.

Haitian Times

Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Haiti News

OAS Secretary General condemns latest act of violence in Haiti

Published

on

By

OAS Secretary General condemns latest act of violence in Haiti

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

WASHINGTON, United States (CMC) — The Secretary General of the Organisation of American States (OAS), Luis Almagro, has condemned the recent act of violence in Haiti that led to the cancellation of Carnival activities on the French-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country.

“We condemn the violence in Haiti and express our condolences to the families of the victims,” Almagro said in a statement posted on his Twitter account.

He said he was pleading for an end to the violence “and above all it is not acceptable with the intention of a violent change of the established democratic regime,” he said, urging political dialogue; stability and the “formation of a Government and parliamentary elections as soon as it is technically possible”.

Last weekend, members of the Haitian Armed Forces FAd’H) and the National Police of Haiti (PNH) were engaged in a shootout demanding that the authorities accept the formation of the Haitian National Police (SPNH) union.

The clashes also involved persons demanding the resignation of President Jovenel Moise and members of the Haitian Armed Forces.

In a statement, the FAd’H said the assault, which lasted more than six hours, left one soldier dead and two others wounded.

“It would be a shame if real police officers whose mission is to protect and serve go as far as the reproach of attacking the Haitian State’s creator institution for no reason whatsoever. We bitterly deplore such actions which can only be the work of individuals oriented towards the destruction of the country, and their own,” the FAd’H said.

“The Armed Forces of Haiti renew their commitment to fulfill, alongside the National Police of Haiti, the mission assigned to it by the Constitution, in particular with regard to the support to be provided to the Haitian people in the development work in general and in the event of natural or induced disasters in particular,” it said, expressing “deep condolences” to the families of the soldiers wounded or killed during the assault.

Meanwhile, the Specialized Land Border Security Corps (Cesfront) in the Dominican Republic said it has strengthened its surveillance along the border with Haiti as a result of the incident last Sunday.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending