Connect with us

African News

Minister concerned as safety, security issues take toll on tourism stats

Published

on

Minister of Tourism Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane is concerned about a 2.1% (164 989) decrease in tourist arrivals to 7 562 743 for the period from January to September 2019.

A major factor impacting the decrease in arrivals has been concerns around safety and security.

The decline was mostly influenced by a decrease in arrivals from Australasia and Europe, with a decrease of 5% and 3.9% respectively, according to data released by Statistics SA earlier this week.

At the same time, the minister is pleased with an increase in tourist arrivals from the Middle East (4.2%); Asia (1.3%), Central and South America (0.3%) and North America (0.2%).

In her view, it is a good indicator that more focused and aggressive marketing strategies in these regions will yield positive results.

Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa, CEO of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA), told Fin24 on Thursday that the organisation, which represents the private sector, has already met with the minister about the impact of safety and security concerns.

“The latest numbers reflect what we have been cautioning about since last year, namely that forward bookings are down, despite some markets remaining resilient. We will respond to return confidence in the market,” he said.

“Now it is time for the public and private sector to get together to achieve our goals of growing the tourism industry. We now know where the cracks are – like safety and security – and we have to now move with speed. The TBCSA is always ready to get to work.”

Kubayi-Ngubane has already led delegations to places like China and Japan and is visiting Ghana and Nigeria with the aim to increase the number of tourist arrivals.

Further more, her department is engaging with local stakeholders like airlines to see how joint marketing strategies could possibly lead to better results.

According to Tshivhengwa, SA’s tourism marketing must be purposeful to fix brand issues. In his view, the recent scrapping of the requirement of unabridged birth certificates for foreign minors arriving in SA, will have a positive impact to repair the country’s image as a family market.

“We need to be competitive in presenting our tourism case. It will take hard work,” he added.

Kubayi-Ngubane indicated that her department, along with other stakeholders, will at the beginning of December announce a Tourism Safety Strategy and the implementation of plans as a response to the concerns raised by key markets.  

“We are committed to reach (President Cyril Ramaphosa’s) target of 21 million arrivals by 2030 and we are working with all the stakeholders in the sector to make this a reality,” she said.

“We realise that, as we work towards this target, we might experience some fluctuations, but we will ensure that the overall trajectory remains positive.”

Christelle Grohmann, director of the tourism specialist unit at professional services firm BDO, recently told Fin24 that Ramaphosa’s tourism target is double the number of tourists SA had at the beginning of the year and equates to a 6% compound growth.

According to Grohmann, the latest decline in numbers highlights that the SA tourism industry is far from having the momentum to achieve these goals.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

African News

LIVE | Juggling game likely for Mboweni in his Budget 2020

Published

on

By

Carin Smith

2020-02-26 13:02

Finance Minister Tito Mboweni is set to deliver his Budget 2020 address today as SA battles unemployment, low economic growth, the likelihood of tax revenue shortfalls and warnings of a possible downgrade by Moody’s.

Finance Minister Tito Mboweni

LIVE NEWS FEED



Jump to

bottom




Last Updated at

13:25




10 things to look out for in the Budget 2020 address:

– Details on the creation of a new state bank;

– Details on the sovereign wealth fund proposed by President Cyril Ramaphosa in his State of the Nation Address;

– What will be done about the public sector wage bill, which is at 35% of public spending;

– How much has the tax revenue gap has widened?

– Any update on state funding for National Health Insurance (NHI)?

– Any (extra) funding for embattled South African Airways?

– Mboweni may provide an update on the steps the state will take to ease Eskom’s debt burden;

– Mboweni will likely provide an update on the SA’s debt position as debt servicing costs are the fastest-growing part of the budget;

– Mboweni may give a rather gloomy summation of the health of SA’s economy;

– Will Mboweni caution about a possible downgrade by ratings agency Moody’s? 





Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

SA SME Fund gets R150m tech commercialisation boost

Published

on

By

Corporate South Africa, through its investment in the SA SME Fund, is enabling the commercialisation of technology innovations developed by South African universities through its R150 million investment into the University Technology Fund (UTF).

This is the first university technology fund in Africa, says the SA SME Fund.

It notes that R25 million will be allocated to pre-commercialisation funding, which includes proof of concept and technology development support and R125 million for commercialisation.

Ketso Gordhan, CEO of the SA SME Fund, says:“This investment is intended to unlock the vast potential located inside our world-class universities by commercialising South African technology.

“This will not only create viable businesses and jobs, but will also encourage a culture of innovation throughout universities in South Africa. We are exceptionally excited about the potential that this creates.”

According to the Fund, SA punches above its weight in research capability, having doubled its output since 2000.

However, it notes that where the country lags is in the commercialisation of the research and patents, which is the gap that the SA SME Fund’s investment is aiming to address.

While the UTF’s initial university partners are University of Cape Town and Stellenbosch University, who provide pipeline for the Fund and each contributed R20 million to co-invest with the UTF, the SA SME Fund’s next step is to expand the programme to universities across South Africa.

The Fund says the UTF will be managed by Stocks and Strauss, an independent third-party fund manager.

It adds that the founders and directors of Stocks and Strauss, Wayne Stocks and Daniel Strauss have a deep understanding of technology and the early stage investment space, having been investors, founders and operationally involved in early stage technology businesses.

Wayne Stocks, partner at Stocks and Strauss, says:”We are excited to work with Universities to commercialise the world-class intellectual property that has, and is being developed. We will work with them to leverage their research to drive sustainable growth, profit and transformation within the University ecosystem and the broader economy.”

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Gauteng edges closer to creating hi-tech economic zone

Published

on

By

Gauteng premier David Makhura.

Gauteng premier David Makhura.

The Gauteng government is pressing ahead with plans to create a hi-tech special economic zone in the province, which it hopes will spur the province into the digital economy.

This is according to premier David Makhura, who gave his State of the Province Address yesterday outside Pretoria.

Makhura said the broader plan of making the province the Silicon Valley of Africa remains on track.

“This includes the integration of The Innovation Hub, our network of Ekasi labs, Tshimologong Precinct, universities and research institutes.”

According to Makhura, his government has also been engaging the private sector, especially ICT companies, on how to collaborate and share resources in the rollout of affordable broadband connectivity and free WiFi to poor households in Gauteng.

The Gauteng government believes investing in Internet connectivity will increase the province’s GDP by 1.5%, improve service delivery to citizens, create new industries, as well as provide new platforms for small businesses to integrate with the mainstream economy.

The province has since 2018 been developing a business case, feasibility study and business plan for the proposed Gauteng science and hi-tech special economic zone.

In his speech, Makhura said: “The work of creating the Gauteng innovation ecosystem in order to build a smart, innovation-driven and knowledge-based economy will be driven by the Premier’s Digital Transformation Advisory Panel, which will be unveiled in March this year.”

In addition, the premier said this will enable Gauteng to take full advantage of the opportunities “in the digital economy and prepare society for the future – schools and universities, the healthcare system, policing and crime prevention, governance, business and civil society operations”.

Moreover, Makhura said: “The ground-breaking work we are already doing with ICT companies to expand digital economy skills and link private sector innovation and skills academies with our public education system will build a solid base for a more innovation-driven and knowledge-based economy of the future.”

The premier explained that attracting investment into the Gauteng economy is a key priority of his ANC-led administration.

“This is one of the main focal areas of my job as the premier of Gauteng, the economic hub of our country.”

According to Makhura, rapid technological change and digital transformation is reshaping the way human beings live and work, “with major opportunities that must be enjoyed by all, instead of being the preserve of elites”.

Turning to the new smart city in Lanseria, Makhura thanked president Cyril Ramaphosa for his full endorsement of its development.

During his State of the Nation Address, Ramaphosa said this city, which he referred to as a truly post-Apartheid city, will have 350 000 to half-a-million people who will call it home in the next decade.

“This process is being led by the investment and infrastructure office in the Presidency, alongside the provincial governments of Gauteng and North-West, working together with the cities of Johannesburg, Tshwane and Madibeng.”

Makhura commented: “This generated unparalleled private sector support. We will build a new city stretching from Lanseria (Gauteng) to Haartebeespoort Dam (Madibeng, North-West), and this will take shape during this decade.”

Furthermore, the premier said the province’s new smart cities will not only be designed to be 5G-ready but will also set new standards in green infrastructure – converting waste to energy and setting up electricity micro-grids that “we expect to draw at least half its power from renewable sources”.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Zimbabwe pursuing billions of dollars stashed in foreign countries

Published

on

By

PRETORIA – The Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (ZACC) has identified over US$7 billion in cash and properties stashed outside the economically-struggling country by former and current senior government officials and captains of industry, the state-owned Herald newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The revelation comes as the ZACC intensifies efforts to recover ill-gotten wealth hidden outside Zimbabwe’s borders.

Some of the properties and cash were reportedly identified in Switzerland, London, the United States, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mauritius and Spain.

ZACC chairwoman and former high court judge Loice Matanda-Moyo told state media on the sidelines of a three-day workshop on asset recovery in Harare that more accurate investigations were underway.

“Informally, we have now identified over US$7 billion worth of property and cash all over the world which were siphoned by our former leaders, current leaders, private sector and individuals. So this information we only got informally, so now we have to formalise the process so that we start the processes of repatriating the monies back home,” the Herald quoted her as saying.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Kenya: Magoha and Mutyambai No-Show at MPs Committee on Education

Published

on

By

Nairobi — Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha and Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai failed to appear before a parliamentary committee over the transfer of the non-local teachers in the northern part of Kenya on Tuesday, forcing legislators to abort the session.

The two instead sent in their representatives despite summons which indicated that they were required individually.

Teachers Service Commission Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Nancy Macharia was the only one who appeared in person before the Education Committee as had been directed by National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi who ordered that the trio should provide a ministerial explanation on why teachers were withdrawn from Wajir, Mandera and Garissa.

The three officials had been summoned last week by the committee through Speaker Muturi to answer to questions from MPs on the parameters used to effect the massive transfers of the teachers in the volatile northern part of Kenya that is often the target of Al Shabaab.

Magoha had dispatched his Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang with Mutyambai sending in his deputy Njoroge Mbugua, a move that irked the MPs who accused them of violating Speaker Muturi’s orders.

In an apology letter read out to the MPs, the committee Chairman Julius Melly (Tinderet) notified the members that CS Magoha had pleaded to be away citing other engagements.

Bomachoge Borabu MP Abel Ogutu raised the objection on the constitutionality of the session noting that it would be unwise to proceed without the presence of the two interested persons, CS Magoha and IG Mutyambai who were required to be part of the session in person.

“The Speaker was very clear on the matter that the interested people should appear in person. It would therefore be wrong to proceed with this meeting,” he protested.

Samburu East MP Jackson Lentoi backed the sentiments and argued that giving a green light on the meeting would risk having a half-baked session where the officials present would give unsatisfactory answers.

“With Magoha and Mutyambai absent and judging by previous sessions, it is evident that the officials present will tell us that they first have to consult with their supervisors prior to giving their responses. This would be just a waste of time,” he said.

Wajir East MP Ahmed Kolosh who had petitioned the House to have the matter deliberated noted that the matter required a multi-sectoral approach and proceeding with the meeting without the required people would be inflicting a great injustice to the teachers and students in the north.