Connect with us

African News

Ranjeni Munusamy wants to see face of person claiming crime intelligence fund was used to fix her car

Published

on

Journalist Ranjeni Munusamy wants to see the face of the police officer who claimed that the police’s crime intelligence fund had paid for repairs to her car.

In an affidavit to cross-examine Lieutenant General Dhanajaya Gangulu Naidoo at the Zondo commission of inquiry into state capture, she denied that she had asked for any repairs to her vehicle.

Munusamy also denied that she even knew of any repairs, and that if her car had been repaired, she did not know where the money came from.

“As Colonel Naidoo testified in camera, I seek a further order that I may be granted leave to have sight of Colonel Naidoo or a photograph of him which has been approved by the chairperson in accordance with the order made by the chairperson of the commission on September 26, 2019,” her affidavit to the commission read. 

Naidoo claimed on his first day in the hot seat that Munusamy was a confidante of former crime intelligence head General Mulangi Mphego, and that a R40 000 repair bill to Ranjeni’s car was covered by crime intelligence’s Secret Services Account (SSA).

READ: Zondo commission: Police whistleblower details how journalists, including Ranjeni Munusamy, were allegedly paid by crime intelligence officers

His face was not shown as he is in a witness protection programme.

Munusamy said she did have a scare though when coming out of a shopping centre in 2008 or 2009. 

She said when she got to her car she found that all four tyres were flat and this shook her because it had never happened before.

Petrol attendants, who helped her, told her the tyres had not been slashed, and so they inflated them and she went home.

However, it left her feeling anxious and distressed and among the people she called was SA Communist Party secretary-general Blade Nzimande to talk about it.

He said she should report it to the police, but she did not want to go to the police station because she did not think they would take her seriously over deflated tyres.

In her affidavit, Munusamy described herself as a “major” journalist, saying she objected to Naidoo’s testimony about her and wanted to cross-examine him. 

READ MORE: ‘I did not benefit from any of the said funds’ – journalist Ranjeni Munusamy on state capture

“The above allegations are extremely serious and have the potential to destroy my reputation as a reputable journalist.

“Indeed, they have already done considerable damage to my reputation.

“… At the outset, I wish to make it clear that I deny having been involved in any act of corruption, bribery, fraud or money laundering.” 

Munusamy denied “knowingly” receiving funds from the secret service account, or knowing that her car was repaired by them, or that the cost of the repairs were being covered by funds from the account.

“I do not know why Colonel Naidoo seeks to malign me in this way.” 

She submitted that the commission should not rely on Naidoo’s testimony, and demanded that he supply the documentation that he claimed to have to prove his claims against her.

Munusamy said that between October 2004 and April 2012 she did not work as a journalist, and focused on public relations. 

Between 2004 and 2009, she ran her own communications business, doing public relations, media training and political research; from July 2009 to October 2010, she worked at the higher education and training department as communications head. 

In 2011, she worked at McCann MSP doing public relations, and returned to journalism, also in 2011, as a sub-editor at the Daily Maverick. 

She joined her current employer, Tiso Blackstar, in 2017.

Munusamy stated that after the tyre incident and speaking to Nzimande, she called an acquaintance, Lieutenant General Raymond Lalla who she knew from covering political violence in KwaZulu-Natal.

He expressed concern and said he would get his colleague, Mphego who she had met while covering the Boeremag stories in 2000, to assist. 

Mphego called her to say Lalla had spoken to him and she told the story about the deflated tyres again.

Mphego said another police officer would assist her.

Munusamy could not remember if this was the same night or the next day. 

She later received a call from a man whose name she does not remember, saying he had been told she was having car trouble, and asked for her address. 

He took her car away, and then returned it.

All she remembers of him is that he was an Indian male. 

“I will likely be able to confirm this when I see a photograph of him.” 

Munusamy let the man take the car for an inspection and trusted him because she trusted Lalla.

“To me the vehicle was returned in the exact same condition in which it left,” she submitted.

ALSO READ: ‘My vehicle was settled by close family friend,’ says Munusamy, who intends to cross-examine witnesses at Zondo commission

“… I stress that I was not aware at all that any money had been spent by anyone – much less crime intelligence – to repair anything on my car.” 

Of Mphego, she denied being his confidante or adviser, or anybody’s “confidante” for that matter.

She said she was also never provided with an invoice for any of the supposed work done, and her legal team had not yet been able to obtain a copy of this supposed invoice for the work.

“I value my credibility as a journalist and I am horrified by the allegations that I benefited from being paid by the SSA”. 

Munusamy has already denied that crime intelligence paid her car off, saying it was settled by a close family friend, Basheer Ahmed Abdool.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

African News

Scarlets down Kings with bonus-point win

Published

on

By

Cape Town – Scarlet prove too strong for the Southern Kings as they claimed a bonus point win in their PRO14 encounter at the Parc y Scarlets in Llanelli on Sunday.

As it happened | Scarlets v Kings

The home side won 36-17 after leading 12-10 at half-time.

Register your interest for the British & Irish Lions tickets in South Africa 2021

The home side scored six tries in the match through Tevita Ratuva, Ed Kennedy, Ryan Conbeer, Uzair Cassiem, Dan Davis and Tom Rogers.

Dan Jones added two conversions, while Conbeer landed another one.

The Kings replied crossed the whitewash twice thanks to Howard Mnisi and Christopher Hollis with Demetri Catrakilis adding two conversions. While Courtney Winnaar kicked a penalty for the visitors.

Next week the Kings host Connacht on Sunday, March 1 (15:00) while the Scarlets travel to Ireland to face Munster on Saturday, February 29 (19:00 SA time).

Scorers:

Scarlet

Tries: Tevita Ratuva, Ed Kennedy, Ryan Conbeer, Uzair Cassiem, Dan Davis, Tom Rogers

Conversions: Dan Jones (2), Conbeer

Kings

Tries: Howard Mnisi, Christopher Hollis

Conversions: Demetri Catrakilis (2)

Penalty: Courtney Winnaar

Teams:

Scarlets

15 Angus O’Brien, 14 Corey Baldwin, 13 Kieron Fonotia, 12 Paul Asquith, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Dan Jones, 9 Kieran Hardy, 8 Uzair Cassiem, 7 Josh Macleod, 6 Aaron Shingler, 5 Sam Lousi, 4 Tevita Ratuva, 3 Werner Kruger (captain), 2 Taylor Davies, 1 Phil Price 

Substitutes: 16 Ifan Phillips, 17 Dylan Evans, 18 Javan Sebastian, 19 Steve Cummins, 20 Dan Davis, 21 Dane Blacker, 22 Ryan Conbeer, 23 Tom Rogers

Kings15 Courtney Winnaar, 14 Christopher Hollis, 13 Sibusiso Sithole, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Howard Mnisi, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Stefan Ungerer, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Ruaan Lerm, 6 Lusanda Badiyana, 5 JC Astle, 4 Jerry Sexton, 3 Rossouw de Klerk, 2 Jacques du Toit, 1 Schalk Ferreira

Substitutes: 16 Alandre van Rooyen, 17 Xandre Vos/Ignatius Prinsloo, 18 Pieter Scholtz, 19 Aston Fortuin, 20 Bobby de Wee, 21 Thembelani Bholi, 22 Josh Allderman, 23 Edmund Ludick

– Compiled by Lynn Butler


Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Two killed in truck accident outside Middelburg

Published

on

By

Two people were killed after a tanker truck overturned on the N11 Groblersdal Road, outside of Middelburg, on Sunday morning.

Shortly before 10.30, paramedics and emergency services personnel arrived on the scene to find that the truck had overturned several times and was lying on the side of the road.

ER24 spokesperson Werner Vermaak said: “Paramedics found that one of the occupants from the truck was ejected during the rollover. Sadly, there was nothing that could be done for him and he was declared dead on the scene. A second occupant was found trapped inside of the cabin. He sustained fatal injuries and was also declared dead on the scene.”

Local authorities attended the scene.

Collision

Meanwhile, one person sustained serious injuries and another moderate injuries during a head-on collision between a truck and a bakkie along the Donkerhoek Road in Rustenburg on Saturday night.

One person sustained serious injuries and another
Image: Supplied/ER24

At about 20:00, paramedics arrived on the scene where they found the two mangled vehicles.

The driver of the truck sustained serious injuries and was rescued from the vehicle. The driver of the bakkie sustained moderate injuries and was treated on the scene.

Both were taken to a nearby hospital for further medical care, Vermaak said.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Six Nations 2020: England beat Ireland to keep title hopes alive

Published

on

By

Six Nations: England v Ireland
England: (17) 24
Tries: Ford, Daly, Cowan-Dickie Pens: Farrell Cons: Farrell 3
Ireland: (0) 12
Tries: Henshaw, Porter Cons: Cooney

England ended Ireland’s Grand Slam hopes in brutal fashion as they rediscovered some of their World Cup form to reignite their own title hopes.

First-half tries from George Ford and Elliot Daly after Irish defensive errors plus two conversions and a penalty from Owen Farrell gave England a commanding 17-0 lead.

Ireland struck back with a try from Robbie Henshaw but with Johnny Sexton uncharacteristically wayward off the tee, they never seriously threatened a comeback.

Luke Cowan-Dickie drove over for England’s third midway through the second half, with replacement Andrew Porter’s late try no sort of consolation for Ireland.

With Wales at home in a fortnight before a trip to Italy, Eddie Jones’ men will believe they can finish the championship in style, although they may need Ireland to do them a favour and beat France in Dublin next month.

For the men in green and their head coach Andy Farrell it was a chastening afternoon, all the optimism created by the wins over Scotland and Wales leaching away in a display that was ponderous until the game was gone.

England capitalise on Irish errors

England began at a real lick, Manu Tuilagi punching holes through the middle and going close down the left before Andrew Conway hauled him down.

And the reward came when Ben Youngs stuck a grubber kick through, Sexton dithered and juggled in his own in-goal area and Ford seized on the loose ball to touch down.

Sexton then mis-kicked horribly with a straightforward penalty from 30 metres out and England set up camp again in the Ireland half.

Jonathan Joseph danced through in midfield after a mis-hit clearing kick from Conor Murray as Maro Itoje and CJ Stander scrapped in the 22, and England’s forwards hammered away at the Ireland line.

With a penalty coming, the men in white shaped to go wide, only for Ford to pop through another kick – and this time it was Jacob Stockdale who dallied, Daly diving onto the ball as Irish hands went to heads.

The scoreboard reflected the gulf between the two sides, England dynamic with ball in hand and ferocious in defence, Ireland laboured and error-ridden.

And Sexton’s miserable half was compounded when he was penalised for slowing the ball up, Farrell stroking over his kick to give England their biggest half-time lead over Ireland in 18 years.

England’s jabs hold Ireland at arm’s length

Ireland simply had to improve – and belatedly they did. An England knock-on from the restart gave away possession and the visitors finally chiselled out some territory too.

England managed to stop an Ireland driving maul from a line-out close in but the pressure kept coming.

Ireland won a penalty in front of the posts, opted for the scrum and eventually found space in the right-hand corner for Henshaw to burrow through two defenders and over the line.

But Sexton shanked the conversion just as he had the first-half penalty and the pressure ebbed away as Eddie Jones threw on Cowan-Dickie, Ellis Genge and Charlie Ewels.

England’s scrum, strong throughout, began to dominate and the penalties started to mount.

Farrell kicked to the corner, the forwards set up the maul from the line-out and Cowan-Dickie peeled off with Sam Underhill and Jonny May driving him on to roll over for England’s third try.

May was nearly clear on his own after seizing a loose ball from a messy Ireland ruck and appeared to be taken out by Henshaw after kicking the ball ahead, only for referee Jaco Peyper to wave play on.

And as the game stumbled towards the line, Porter rumbled over from a metre out for a try that made little difference to Ireland’s afternoon.

Man of the match: Courtney Lawes

A bravura performance in the back row from a man more normally seen in the second row. He made 14 tackles and eight carries in the hour he was on the pitch, setting the tone for a dominant England performance.

Line-ups

England: Daly; May, Tuilagi, Farrell (capt), Joseph; Ford, Youngs; Marler, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Underhill, Curry.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Stuart, Launchbury, Ewels, Earl, Heinz, Slade.

Ireland: Larmour; Conway, Henshaw, Aki, Stockdale; Sexton, Murray; Healy, Herring, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, O’Mahony, van der Flier, Stander.

Replacements: Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Porter, Dillane, Doris, Cooney, Byrne, Earls.

Referee: Jaco Peyper

Touch judges: Romain Poite & Alexandre Ruiz

TMO: Marius Jonker

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Women’s T20 World Cup highlights: England beaten by South Africa in thrilling finish

Published

on

By

England suffer a tense six-wicket defeat against South Africa as their Women’s T20 World Cup campaign began with a narrow loss in Perth.

MATCH REPORT: South Africa edge England in tense finish

WATCH MORE: Ismail takes great running catch to dismiss England captain Knight

Available to UK users only.

Follow ball-by-ball Test Match Special commentary on all games on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, BBC Sport website and app; in-play highlights (UK only) and live text commentary on BBC Sport website and app.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Fury reacts to win over Wilder

Published

on

By

Tyson Fury said he is accustomed to being written off because of his appearance after beating Deontay Wilder to win the WBC Heavyweight Championship in Las Vegas on Sunday.

Fury scored a seventh-round TKO after knocking Wilder down twice, leaving blood pouring from the Bronze Bomber’s ear.

Underestimate Fury at your peril

Wilder was on his heels early on against an aggressive Fury who came good on his promise to fight for a knockout.

“Last time I was over-trained and I was too light. I’m a man of my word, I told the world I was going for a knockout – we trained for a knockout,” Fury told BT Sport.

“People always write me off, they look at my belly and my bald head. I’ve had my problems, but he was fighting the real Gypsy King this time.”

Fury said in the ring after the fight and later on in the dressing room that he expected Wilder to ask for a rematch. Fury said that there was only one place it could take place and that was across the road from the MGM Grand Arena at the Raiders Stadium, an outdoor venue that holds 70,000.

“The spoils of war are fresh,” he said in the ring. “I need to enjoy this victory and Deontay needs time to recover. But I’m almost sure he’ll take the rematch because he’s a dynamite puncher and he can take someone out at any time.

“With that level of danger, you can always win a fight. I’m sure we’ll do it again if he wants to.

“If he doesn’t want to, I’m happy with whatever my promoters say. Whoever’s next gets the same treatment, that’s for sure.”

Wilder skipped the post-fight press conference in order to get the cut on his ear stitched up and conduct some precautionary checks with fears that the Fury right may have damaged his eardrum.

Fury gave Wilder credit for his toughness and said he expects him to become world champion again at some point in the future.

“Big shout-out to Deontay Wilder, he came here tonight, he manned up and really did show the heart of a champion,” said Fury

“I hit him with a clean right hand and dropped him and he got back up and battled on into round seven. He is a warrior, he will be back, he will be a champion again. But I will say, the king has returned to the top.” 

Wilder said in the ring that he didn’t want his corner to throw in the towel but conceded he had been well-beaten by Fury.

“The best man won tonight,” he said. “I had a lot of things going on heading into this fight. It is what it is, but I make no excuses tonight. I just wish my corner would have let me go out on my shield. I’m a warrior.

“He had a great performance and we will be back stronger. ‘Even the greatest have lost and came back, that is just part of it.”

Despite the likelihood of a rematch, Fury is expected to move on to a unification bout against fellow Brit Anthony Joshua.

DMCA.com Protection Status

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending