Connect with us

News

Concern about seawater flow on Port Royal street

Published

on

Concern about seawater flow on Port Royal street

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

A councillor in the capital city believes that construction being done at Old Wharf in Port Royal to facilitate cruise shipping is contributing to seawater flowing onto a street in the historic town at nights.

As such, Councillor Lorraine Dobson (People’s National Party, Springfield Division) wants the National Environment and Planning Agency to conduct an environmental impact assessment study in order that the problem can be corrected.

Dobson raised the issue yesterday during discussions on a resolution the Kingston and St Andrew Municipal Corporation passed to waive subdivision fees on lands for the development of Norman Manley International Airport.

She also raised concerns about the effect construction and dumping were having on the coastline.

Pointing out that Port Royal was below sea level, Dobson said that the unusual high tides have resulted in the sea flooding Queen Street where the police station is located.

She also said that the flow of the sea onto the Port Royal main road at night had become heavier.

— Claudienne Edwards

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

News

One-year-old shot by gunmen has no feeling in her legs

Published

on

By

One-year-old shot by gunmen has no feeling in her legs

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

Mia Dailey, the one-year-old who was shot by gunmen as they slaughtered a man at West Street in downtown Kingston Sunday morning, is responding after surgery, a relative told the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

“She’s responding, but there is no feeling in her legs,” the relative said.

“The X-ray suggests that there is some injury to her spine, so they are doing further tests to determine the extent of the damage, and they’ve brought in a specialist to consult on the matter.”

Mia, who had been seated on a chair outside her house awaiting her bottle, was shot in her abdomen and spine when gunmen attacked and murdered 43-year-old Andon Robinson, shortly after 7:00 am.

Angry residents who had converged on the crime scene told the Observer that warring factions from Tivoli Gardens and Pink Lane had been the cause of the brazen shooting.

According to them, two men on a bicycle had passed by mere minutes before, returning and pumping several shots into Robinson who was said to be a community handyman known for washing and parking cars.

The residents explained that Robinson had just left a communal restroom in a neighbouring yard when he was attacked.

“The man not even know why him dead, ’cause him a innocent man,” said a young boy who was among the group of residents. “A use him come use the bathroom because him nuh have none over him yard, and the bwoy dem see him and spray him.”

Robinson, in an effort to escape, reportedly ran back into the yard, where Mia had been seated. But the gunmen chased and shot him twice in the back and once in the head before escaping.

Yesterday Mia’s relative who spoke with the Observer said residents are not only concerned about the brutal incident, they are “bitter and want dem pound a flesh because the person who was killed was not a troublemaker. It is said it was a case of mistaken identity”.

Meanwhile, the relative said that Mia’s mom, Avina Jones, is doing okay.

“We’re just praying and hoping for the best,” said the relative, who explained that Mia has two older siblings — a brother and sister.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

Israeli warplanes hit Gaza after Palestinian rocket barrage

Published

on

By

Israeli warplanes hit Gaza after Palestinian rocket barrage

Monday, February 24, 2020

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

JERUSALEM, Undefined (AFP) — Israeli aircraft hit what the military said were Islamic Jihad sites in the Gaza Strip late Sunday, after Palestinian militants said they fired a barrage of rockets at Israel.

In a new flare-up a week ahead of a general election in the Jewish state, the Israeli Air Force carried out strikes on “Islamic Jihad terror sites”, a military statement said, without elaborating.

Palestinian security sources said the Israeli aircraft repeatedly hit a base of the radical group in the north of the coastal strip.

There were no immediate reports of casualties.

In what an army spokeswoman said was a separate operation, a military aircraft fired at “Islamic Jihad terror operatives preparing to launch rockets”, from the northern Gaza Strip.

“A hit was identified,” a military statement said.

Islamic Jihad said it carried out yesterday’s rocket fire in response to Israel’s killing of one of its fighters earlier in the day.

“The Palestinian resistance targeted Sunday evening the city of Ashkelon and the Gaza envelope with a number of rockets, as a response to the crime of the Zionist enemy,” it said in a statement.

The rockets set off warning sirens in the southern city of Ashkelon and several other locations, while around 10 were intercepted by the Jewish state’s Iron Dome missile defence system, the Israeli army said.

Others crashed into open fields. There were no reports of serious injuries.

“Twenty launches were identified from the Gaza Strip toward Israeli territory,” a military statement said.

There was no immediate comment from Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip and has fought three wars with Israel since 2008 but has struck a series of unofficial truce agreements with the Jewish state in the past year.

Yesterday morning, Israel’s army said it had “spotted two terrorists approaching the security fence in the southern Gaza Strip and placing an explosive device adjacent to it”.

“The troops opened fire towards them. A hit was identified,” it said.

Islamic Jihad identified the dead man as Mohammed al-Naem, 27, a member of its armed Al-Quds Brigade forces.

A video later emerged on social media showing a bulldozer approaching a body while a group of young, apparently unarmed men, were trying to retrieve it.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

Gov’t has spent $300 million on markets since 2016

Published

on

By

Gov’t has spent $300 million on markets since 2016

Monday, February 24, 2020

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Minister of Local Government and Community Development Desmond McKenzie says the Government has spent over $300 million since 2016 to construct and improve the aesthetics of markets across the island.

He was speaking at a ceremony on the grounds of Hopewell Methodist Church in Hanover on Thursday last, ahead of breaking ground for the rehabilitation of the nearby Hopewell Market.

McKenzie said the Government has been “responding to the cry to improve market conditions” while noting their importance to economic development.

Among the markets constructed are the Falmouth Market in Trelawny and the Port Maria Market in St Mary, which is slated to be open soon.

“This Administration has taken a serious look at markets…we have done work on the Linstead Market. Jointly with the Port Authority of Jamaica, we built a brand new market in the town of Falmouth. When you go up further in the northern part of Trelawny, I opened a brand new transportation and refurbished market in Clarke’s Town,” McKenzie stated.

He also informed that $8.5 million has been spent to complete the Black River Market in St Elizabeth, while $5 million will be made available by the end of February, to commence phase one of repairs to the Santa Cruz Market.

Additionally, $75 million will be spent in the 2020/2021 financial year to construct a market in Negril, Westmoreland.

 

— JIS

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

Cornwall Regional to receive ICT devices

Published

on

By

Cornwall Regional to receive ICT devices

Monday, February 24, 2020

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

The Universal Service Fund (USF) is providing Cornwall Regional Hospital with information communication technology (ICT) devices and tools to improve the management of health information at that facility.

The entity’s chief executive officer (CEO), Daniel Dawes, made the disclosure at a formal ceremony to announce the increase in bandwidth at the South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) and the Kingston Public and Victoria Jubilee hospitals, held last Tuesday at the hospitals’ North Street address in Kingston.

Among the devices to be donated are four tablets and two multifunctional printers.

“We are very pleased that we have been able to facilitate this. It is a thrust of the USF to partner with other government organisations to make sure there is a positive impact in relation to the use of technology for the development of our country,” he said.

Dawes stated that the donation is part of efforts to improve the island’s public health infrastructure.

The Fund plays an important role in providing technological support to the health sector, facilitating broadband access to 60 public health facilities throughout the country at a cost of over US$24,000 per month.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

Schoolboy commended for service to adult club

Published

on

By

Schoolboy commended for service to adult club

Monday, February 24, 2020

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

PORUS, Manchester – Porus High School student Dujon Carter came in for special mention recently at the Porus Primary School Parenting Club’s pre-Valentine’s Day tea party.

The 13-year-old grade 8 student was taken by surprise when the club’s vice-president, Dotlyn Parchment, who chaired the afternoon’s proceedings, invited him to the podium to be formally introduced to the guest speaker, Sergeant Patrae Rowe, chairman of the Jamaica Police Federation.

Nonplussed as to what he had done to deserve such an honour, young Carter, after a warm smile and handshake from the policeman, soon learned that he was being commended for his faithful and voluntary service to the parenting club.

The audience heard that although not meeting the criteria to be a member, young Dujon since his attendance at Porus Primary had developed an affinity for the club and though uninvited, had made himself available and handy, particularly at club functions.

His interest in the activities of the club continued after he graduated from Porus Primary and moved on to Porus High School down the road. It was then discovered that Dujon has a special talent of which the club could make good use — he playes the drums.

At the tea party, playing the conga drum, he joined veteran Baptist church guitarist Evadne Wellington to provide musical accompaniment during the club members’ entertainment package of rousing folk songs and a medley of popular R&B hits.

A major concern of the club, since its founding 20 years ago, is the difficulty of getting Porus fathers to become members.

The membership was heartened by Dujon’s natural interest and unsolicited participation, and Vice-President Parchment felt it fortuitous that the guest speaker was a suitable role model and mentor for Dujon and the young people of Porus.

Himself a native of Porus, Rowe had kind words of encouragement for the teen. He referenced his own experience as a boy in Harmons, a poor farming district, living in a home provided by the self-help charity organisation Food for the Poor, sharing ruefully his familiarity with…”sleeping on the floor”.

He recalled being slighted because of his poor circumstance when, as an adolescent, he sought to establish a romantic relationship with a community girl. He said it was whispered that he was not good enough for her and although devastated by her rejection, he said being turned down served to motivate him to make something of himself.

Now a 14-year veteran of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF), Rowe is well known in the public sphere as a vocal and staunch defender of the welfare and interest of the rank and file members of the JCF, whom he represents as head of the Jamaica Police Federation.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending