Connect with us

African News

EFF wants to join Mkhwebane’s defense against Gordhan’s court bid on’rogue unit’ report

Published

on

The EFF has instructed its lawyers to join in the defence of Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane against the urgent bid filed by Public Enterprise Minister Pravin Gordhan to interdict remedial actions in a report released by her on Friday last week.

Gordhan, filed papers in the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria, seeking the court to halt the Public Protector’s office from taking any action to enforce the remedial action on Mkhwebane’s report related to the so-called SARS “rogue unit”.

Mkhwebane had recommended action be taken by President Cyril Ramaphosa, Speaker of the National Assembly Thandi Modise, State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo, National Director of Public Prosecutions Shamila Batohi and National Commissioner of Police General Kehla Sitole.

“We are however surprised that Gordhan has lodged an urgent interdict seeking to stop implementation of the Public Protector’s remedial action. This is because he did not do the same with regards to the report of the PP [Public Protector] before and its remedial actions were still never implemented by president [Cyril] Ramaphosa,” the party’s spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said in a statement on Thursday.

Ndlozi added that remedial actions relating to Gordhan seemed to have never received a positive response from Ramaphosa.

“Nevertheless, we also cannot sense any urgency related to this matter, except Gordhan’s bloated egoism of thinking he is above the law and must always receive some special treatment from our legal system,” he said.

ALSO READ: Gordhan takes the fight to Mkhwebane as he slams ‘rogue unit’ findings as incompetent, unlawful

Among other issues stated in the court papers, Gordhan is asking the court to declare that “the Public Protector and advocate Mkhwebane personally acted in breach of their constitutional duties to be independent and to exercise their powers and perform their functions without fear, favour or prejudice”.

According to court papers, which News24 has seen, the urgent application may be heard on July 23.

GET THE NEWS at your fingertips and download the News24 app for Android here now. Get it for your iPhone here.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

– FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Source link

قالب وردپرس

African News

In new headache, WeWork says it found cancer-causing chemical in its phone booths

Published

on

By

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Cash-strapped WeWork, the office-sharing company that is trying to negotiate a financial lifeline, has a new problem that may prove costly. It has closed about 2,300 phone booths at some of its 223 sites in the United States and Canada after it says it discovered elevated levels of formaldehyde.

FILE PHOTO: A WeWork logo is seen outside its offices in San Francisco, California, U.S. September 30, 2019. REUTERS/Kate Munsch/File Photo

The company, which abandoned plans for an initial public offering last month after investors questioned its mounting losses and the way it was being run, said in an email to its tenants on Monday that the chemical could pose a cancer-risk if there is long-term exposure.

After a tenant complained of odor and eye irritation, WeWork began testing and based on the results took 1,600 phone booths out of service, the company said in the email to tenants, which it calls members.

An additional 700 booths are closed while more testing is conducted, it said. All the phone booths closed were installed over the past several months, WeWork said.

“The safety and well-being of our members is our top priority and we are working to remedy this situation as quickly as possible,” WeWork said in a statement.

More costs are the last thing needed at the company, which some analysts say is fast running out of cash. WeWork declined to comment on the cost of testing and replacing the booths.

It is currently in talks for a multi-billion dollar rescue deal that could lead to its largest shareholder, Japan’s SoftBank Group Corp (9984.T), taking control, two people familiar with the matter said. WeWork is also talking to JPMorgan Chase (JPM.N) over a possible debt package, they said.

WeWork declined to identify the manufacturer of the phone booths.

“Long-term exposure to formaldehyde, such as that experienced by workers in jobs who experience high concentrations over many years, has been associated with certain types of cancers,” WeWork told tenants in the email.

In 1987, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency classified formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen under conditions of unusually high or prolonged exposure. Some studies since then suggested that formaldehyde exposure is associated with certain types of cancer, according to the National Cancer Institute.

A tenant, who did not wish to be identified, said she was worried about the risk of cancer as she had spent hundreds of hours inside phone booths at a San Francisco WeWork that has the problem.

Phone booths are popular in WeWork’s open-plan offices as they provide privacy and noise reduction, the tenant said.

Reporting by Herbert Lash; Editing by Martin Howell and Lisa Shumaker

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Trump demands whistleblower testify, as ex-aide talks to Congress

Published

on

By

Donald Trump demanded on Monday that a whistleblower whose warning about the US president’s call with Ukraine triggered the impeachment inquiry against him be identified and testify before Congress.

As the president menaced the person who exposed his potential wrongdoing, Trump faced a new setback with his former top Russia advisor, Fiona Hill, sitting for a closed-door deposition on Monday before Capitol Hill lawmakers.

Hill served in the National Security Council but left the administration shortly before Trump’s July 25 call with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky.

Democrats expect her to share her concerns about Trump’s involvement in the Ukraine scandal, including his ouster of the US ambassador to Kiev Marie Yovanovitch, who testified to Congress last week.

Hill, under a congressional subpoena according to her lawyer, made no remarks to reporters as she entered the secure meeting room in the US Capitol for a deposition expected to last several hours.

With the impeachment inquiry charging ahead, Trump lashed out at House Intelligence Committee chairman Adam Schiff after the Democratic lawmaker suggested the whistleblower might not testify out of concern for their safety.

Trump has repeatedly pushed for the unmasking of the unidentified author of a complaint that said Trump may have abused his power on the call by urging Ukraine to dig up dirt on his political rival Joe Biden.

Whistleblowers are protected by US law, and revealing their identity is a crime.

“Adam Schiff now doesn’t seem to want the Whistleblower to testify. NO! Must testify to explain why he got my Ukraine conversation sooo wrong,” Trump tweeted.

“Did Schiff tell him to do that? We must determine the Whistleblower’s identity to determine WHY this was done to the USA.”

Trump repeatedly characterises his Zelensky call as “perfect,” but the whistleblower’s complaint noted how some White House officials were so concerned about Trump’s actions on the call that they sought to severely restrict access to its record.

The White House memo of the call shows Trump sought a “favor” from Zelensky. Democrats say it was a demand to investigate Joe Biden – the president’s potential 2020 election rival – and a Ukrainian firm that hired Biden’s son Hunter.

House Democrat Jamie Raskin said he believes Hill could shed light on what he described as “a very powerful shadow foreign policy being operated out of Ukraine by the president’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani” that bypassed normal channels in order to apply coercive pressure on Kiev.

“I think that she would have a comprehensive overview of that whole situation,” Raskin told MSNBC.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Bulgaria v England: Euro 2020 qualifier temporarily halted due to racist behaviour from fans

Published

on

By

England’s Euro 2020 qualifier with Bulgaria in Sofia was temporarily halted twice in the first half with fans warned about racist behaviour.

The first pause came in the 28th minute with England leading 2-0.

A stadium announcement then condemned the abuse before stating the match would be abandoned if it continued.

However, the game was stopped again in the 43rd minute before restarting after discussions between the referee and England manager Gareth Southgate.

The Levski Stadium was subject to a partial closure for this match after Bulgaria were sanctioned for racist chanting during qualifiers against Kosovo and the Czech Republic.

Uefa has a three-step protocol in place for dealing with racism at matches.

For the first step, the referee will speak to the stadium announcer and demand the halting of racist behaviour.

If it continues, the referee can take the players off the field into the dressing rooms for a period of time and the stadium announcer will make another address. If it still continues, the match will be abandoned.

Southgate held a meeting with his players in the build-up to the game to underline the Uefa protocol in dealing with such incidents – but the subject has provoked an angry response from the Bulgarian football authorities.

More to follow.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending