Connect with us

News

Two cops freed of murder charge

Published

on

Two cops freed of murder charge

BY TANESHA MUNDLE
Observer staff reporter
mundlet@jamaicaobserver.com

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

Two policemen who were on trial for murder after they were implicated in the controversial ‘death squad’ probe, are now rejoicing after they were yesterday both found not guilty of killing a man in May Pen, Clarendon, seven years ago.

Detective Corporal Kevin Adams and Constable Jerome Whyte were before the Home Circuit Court in relation to the death of Anthony ‘Toby’ Trought on February 13, 2012 at his home on 1st Street, Terrier Town.

But yesterday a seven-member jury, after deliberating for 45 minutes, returned a verdict in favour of the two cops.

During the trial, which lasted just over a month, the prosecution led evidence that on the day of the incident, the policemen visited the community in search of Trought.

The court heard that Trought was not at home, and the police left, but on their return they saw him arriving in a car with another person.

According to the prosecution, both Trought and the other man exited the vehicle with their hands up and were conversing with a group of four cops when Corporal Adams crept upon them and shot Trought.

An autopsy report later revealed that Trought sustained three gunshot wounds to the torso.

But the policemen, who did not deny opening fire on the deceased, insisted in unsworn statements last week that they acted in self-defence as Trought fired at them first.

Following the handing down of the verdict both men who were in high spirits, smiling and talking with colleagues, friends and members of the jury declined to comment when approached by journalists.

However, Adams’ attorney expressed joy at the outcome on their behalf.

“No jury verdict is ever expected, but clearly this jury listened attentively to the evidence over the weeks and I know from the questions that they asked that they were weighing the issue of self-defence as against the Crown’s case,” Valerie Neita Robertson, QC, said.

“I am very happy for my client Mr Adams, and Mr Whyte. they are fine police officers and it was very nerve-racking for them so I’m very happy I was able to discharge my function for them as defence counsel,” she said.

Whyte’s lawyer, Churchill Neita, said the verdict shows that justice is still alive and well and that the police can expect to get justice when they defend themselves while carrying out their legitimate duties.

“It’s not a verdict that we are surprised at and we believe that the verdict demonstrates the position that police officers in the legitimate exercise of their duty, who are sworn to defend and protect us when they in fact defend themselves and their colleagues in legitimate self-defence, this is the type of verdict we expect,” he said.

Additionally, he said the jury was mindful of all the issues raised and had accepted that the police had come under gunfire in the lawful exercise of their duty and defended themselves.

Lead prosecutor Caroline Hay, who expressed that the Crown had put up a strong case worthy of conviction, said she accepted the result.

“Our position in relation to jury verdicts is always the same: Jamaica is a difficult place to prosecute because witnesses are always intimidated, people don’t want to serve. So when jurors come out to serve and give their time and attention, as citizens of the country and as people who play a significant role in the justice system, we thank them and we appreciate them and we encourage them to come forward and we always respect the verdict of the jury,” she said.

“In our assessment of this matter: we had more than enough for a conviction, but it is not just our assessment, it is how the evidence plays out in court, and what the jury makes of it and we just have to accept it in the end and we genuinely respect it,” she added.

Adams and Whyte were among 13 cops from the Clarendon Police Division who, in 2014, were charged by the Independent Commission of Investigations for allegedly carrying out extrajudicial killings as a part of a so-called death squad based in the parish.

Adams was acquitted of a murder charge in January but is awaiting trial for the alleged killing of Adif Washington at May Pen Hospital on January 14, 2013.

He is also to be tried for the alleged murder of Sylvester Gallimore in May 2011.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

News

Jamaica must benefit from solid waste divestment — McKenzie

Published

on

By

Jamaica must benefit from solid waste divestment — McKenzie

BY HORACE HINES
Staff reporter
editorial@jamaicaobserver.com

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

RETIREMENT, St James —Local Government Minister Desmond McKenzie says the reason for the long wait for the announced privitisation of the nation’s solid waste management operations is due to the Government’s insistence that the move will benefit the nation.

In 2016, Prime Minister Andrew Holness announced the appointment of an enterprise team to identify a preferred waste-management provider for the divestment of the Riverton landfill.

The nine-member team, chaired by Lyttleton Shirley, was charged with managing the process of establishing a waste-to-energy system in Jamaica and the contracting out of the solid waste collection and solid waste management of the country.

Holness said the move by the Government will see the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) moving towards a more regulatory role.

Last year, following fires at disposal sites across the country, the Private Sector Organisation of Jamaica (PSOJ) joined the call for the fast-tracking of the divestment of the country’s solid waste management operations, but, McKenzie argued that “there is no quick fix to the problems that we face at our landfills”.

“Let’s say that divestment does not happen overnight just like that, it takes time. And as a Government we want to be clear that whatever decision we make on the divestment is one that will be of benefit to the people of Jamaica. So those who are saying why is it taking so long…we know it is taking long but we want to be very, very careful in what we are doing,” McKenzie explained.

He added: “We are looking to relocate at least two (landfills). It’s going to take a lot of money. The divestment team met with the chairman about two weeks ago, looking at how advanced the question of the divestment has taken place.”

He was speaking at the Retirement dump in St James, where he outlined a raft of initiatives put in place to reduce fires at the facility, some of which have been frequent in recent times. The latest outbreak in July left large swathes of Montego Bay blanketed by smoke over two days.

McKenzie announced that repairs were being carried out to some 1,500 metres of the roadway at the facility to guarantee easier access to the disposal site and to the active cells at the location, by way of:

• the creation of a designated cell to house tyres only,

• installation of pipes throughout the site to facilitate the transportation of water,

• installation of three fire hydrants at separate points across the landfill,

• installation of a 28,000 water tanks,

• the provision of a brand new dumper truck to be based at the facility to assist in the daily covering of the site,

• the placing of a response team on site to check the facility on a daily basis, and

• the provision of over 100 truckloads of top soil will be made available for covering.

“We not saying that what we are doing will answer all the concerns but at least it is going to put the organisation in a much better position to respond,” McKenzie noted.

He further stated: “For years this disposal site has been a bone of contention in St James and in the neighbouring parishes…the smoke nuisance and all the unnecessary things associated with fire. Some of them were set deliberately and some, based on the location, would happen naturally. The cry of the residents has been loud, the criticism of the Government hurts,” McKenzie outlined.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

Tooth to tooth contact

Published

on

By

Tooth to tooth contact

…It can lead to dental damage

by Dr Sharon Robinson

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

TEETH must put up with all sorts of things in the form of food every day.

Too much pressure on teeth can lead to dental damage in the form of dental abrasion or attrition. The teeth enamel may wear down and may make teeth weak.

What is dental attrition?

Dental attrition is a form of dental wear caused by tooth to tooth contact. The friction caused by teeth rubbing against each other can wear away the biting surfaces of the teeth.

Although attrition is often observed as a part of the ageing process, some people might experience more rapid and advanced attrition as a result of certain dental diseases and eating habits.

Bruxism, characterised as teeth grinding and clenching, is one of the biggest pathological reasons for attrition and can lead to severe dental wear and damage if not treated properly.

In serious cases, the protective layer of the teeth — the enamel — can be worn to the point that the inner dentin of the teeth is exposed, leading to tooth decay, causing increased dental sensitivity.

Symptoms of dental attrition

In addition to tooth decay and increased dental sensitivity, the symptoms and signs of dental attrition may also include:

• Sore or tender gums;

• Loss of teeth structure, including flattening or thinning of the teeth;

• An increase in dental pain due to the loss of the enamel layer;

• Damage or failure of prior dental treatments;

• Tooth discolouration as a result of the loss of enamel and exposure of the dentin layer.

Erosion is also a problem in people who suffer from gastrooesophageal reflux disease. In addition to this, the risk of erosion is high in individuals with a low salivary flow rate.

Prevention

• Reducing the intake of carbonated drinks and juices with very high levels of acidity is the key to preventing erosion of the teeth.

• Tooth brushing should be avoided immediately after consuming acidic drinks and meals for about 20 minutes. The acid present in these drinks softens the enamel of your teeth, making it susceptible to damage from brushing.

• The toothbrush should be held using a pen-grip. Vigorous, horizontal scrubbing actions and a hard toothbrush should be avoided.

• Teeth should not be used as tools to hold or grip items.

• Long-term use of tongue jewellery and mouth piercing should also be avoided.

• Different kinds of toothpaste carry different levels of abrasiveness. Whilst abrasives help to remove tooth stains, they may also contribute to tooth wear. People who are concerned about tooth wear should seek a less abrasive fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride in toothpaste also helps to combat tooth wear.

 

Dr Sharon Robinson DDS has offices at the Dental Place Cosmetix Spa, located at shop #5, Winchester Business Centre, 15 Hope Road, Kingston 10. Dr Robinson is an adjunct lecturer at the University of Technology, Jamaica, School of Oral Health Sciences. She may be contacted at 630-4710. Like their Facebook page, Dental Place Cosmetix Spa.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

CTOC to question prominent MoBay man

Published

on

By

CTOC to question prominent MoBay man

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

The Counter-Terrorism and Organised Crime Investigation (CTOC) Branch of the Jamaica Constabulary Force is to question a prominent Montego Bay businessman who has links with the tourism industry regarding activities carried out on behalf of his company while it was in liquidation.

The company was placed in liquidation twice by the Supreme Court. The contention, however, is that its principals conducted certain transactions, which included the filing of a lawsuit against another prominent Jamaican company, while the entity was in liquidation, which is believed to have contravened Jamaican law.

Allegations are that company executives acted without the permission of the court or the liquidator of the company.

Under Jamaican law, companies in liquidation can only act through a liquidator or by a directive of the court. Anything else could amount to an offence.

One investigator, who asked not to be identified, confirmed to the Jamaica Observer that the western Jamaica businessman would be questioned “soon” in relation to the alleged illegality of his company doing business while it was placed in liquidation.

“The lawyer has been contacted regarding the matter and he is scheduled to attend an interview shortly with his client,” the police source said.

CTOC was formed out of a merger of the Organised Crime Investigation Division, and the Flying Squad.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending