Connect with us

African News

IOC sees scope for more Tokyo 2020 games budget cuts

Published

on

Tokyo – Tokyo 2020 can make further reductions to its budget, a top Olympic official said on Tuesday, despite some sports associations voicing concerns that cost-cutting could harm the running of the Games.

“We appreciate your continued efforts to reduce the operational (budget) and other budgets,” said John Coates, chairperson of the IOC’s coordination committee, at the start of a three-day visit to Tokyo.

He noted that $2.2 billion had been saved from the construction and infrastructure budget and $2 billion from the operational budget but insisted: “We think there are still more savings to be obtained.”

Coates singled out the “overlay” budget for further cuts, which means money for temporary facilities such as pre-fabricated tents, seating and security fencing.

He said this had already been reduced from $2.1 billion to around $1.3 billion and added: “I think that together we can help you save some more money there.”

“We want to be diligent… We do not want the taxpayers of Tokyo and Japan to be meeting any of these operational costs and I’m confident that will be the case,” said Coates.

In December, Tokyo 2020 organisers unveiled the latest version of their budget, which stood at 1.35 trillion yen ($12.1 billion), unchanged from the previous budget released in 2017.

Organisers have admitted that measures to tackle the expected hot weather during the Tokyo summer – such as water sprinklers and special heat-absorbing paint on roads – have driven up the bill.

Measures like this have offset other savings the organisers have been trying to make.

However, the Tokyo 2020 organisers are also being squeezed in the other direction, with some sports federations fretting that budget cuts could impact the hosting of the Games.

Eight federations, including sailing, judo and tennis, expressed worries at a recent meeting of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF) on the Gold Coast in Australia.

“There are concerns over cuts in accommodation, transport and venue upgrades,” an ASOIF official told AFP at the time.

On Tuesday Coates acknowledged the concerns raised by the federations, but said: “We think that you have been working them through and we are confident you will be able to address them,” adding that the issues raised would be under discussion during the IOC’s visit to Tokyo.


Source link

قالب وردپرس

African News

Malema, Ndlozi case postponed to March next year – SABC News

Published

on

By

The alleged assault case against Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema and Spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi has been postponed to March 2020. Magistrate Liesl Davis has released the pair on a warning.

The politicians allegedly assaulted a senior police officer in April 2018 when they forced their way into the cemetery where late struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela was buried. Malema, however, says the case brought against them is baseless.

“It’s a useless case; I don’t know what you are all doing here. She said to you it’s a common assault case which the public wants to know. It’s a waste of a court case. If you are stopped from burying your mother, how will you react? The NPA just decides to go the way they went because they are succumbing to the Boers agenda,” says Malema.

Lobby group AfriForum, claims that after the senior policeman laid a charge, the case did not receive the necessary attention. Only after the group’s private prosecution unit made enquiries was the matter prioritised.

AfriForum CEO Kallie Kriel says, “We are happy that the trial date has been set for the 10th of March. It brings clarity it also sends out a message to all South Africans that there is equality before the law. Unfortunately sometimes you need pressure from organisations like AfriForum to get equality before the law. Unfortunately, this has taken 19 months despite the fact that we have video footage of the incident.

But the NPA has downplayed AfriForum’s claims.

NPA regional communications manager Phindi Louw-Mjonondwana says, “We have to come up clear as the NPA on this matter to say that the investigations into this matter had not concluded. There were still on-going investigations hence the matter could not be enrolled. Once the investigations were concluded, the NPA could place the matter on the roll. It is not a matter of it being placed on the roll because AfriForum has brought a complaint, that’s not how it works.”

The EFF leader says he’ll be happy to take the fall for fighting to witness the burial of struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela. But has at the same time dismissed AfriForum’s intentions.

Click below for more on the story:

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

Miller signs up for Big Bash League stint with Hobart Hurricanes

Published

on

By

Proteas finisher David Miller has been signed as an overseas professional for the Big Bash League side the Hobart Hurricanes.

Miller joins as a replacement for Jofra Archer who will be unavailable due to England international commitments.

Miller time in Hobart

The experienced left-hander is expected to play a big part for the Hurricanes who are likely to be without Australia regulars D’Arcy Short, Matthew Wade and Ben McDermott for a good portion of the tournament.

David Miller
HOBART, AUSTRALIA – 11 NOVEMBER 2018: David Miller of South Africa celebrates after reaching his century during game three of the One Day International series between Australia and South Africa at Blundstone Arena on 11 November, 2018 in Hobart, Australia. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

The Hurricanes home ground Blundstone arena holds fond memories for the Maritzburg College Old Boy who crunched 139 from just 108 balls in an ODI win over Australia at the ground in 2018.

“It’s very exciting to welcome a player of David’s calibre to the Hurricanes,’ said Cricket Tasmania chief executive officer Nick Cummins.

“We’ve built a reputation as a destination club among internationals, and we are confident David’s hard-hitting batting will give our members and fans great entertainment, and possibly a few opportunities to catch a six.

“We expect to lose some batting experience throughout the season, so David will provide valuable runs in our drive to our third successive finals campaign.”

Miller brings the number of South Africans committed to the BBL up to four. Chris Morris and AB de Villiers set to turn out for the Sydney Sixers and Brisbane Heat. Dale Steyn will test his fitness in the Mzansi Super League before joining the Melbourne Stars. Miller, Morris and Steyn are all available for Proteas T20I selection.

The stint allows Miller to get valuable T20 experience across Australia ahead of the T20 World Cup which the country will host in 2020.

Read – Katy Perry to perform at Women’s T20 World Cup final

Miller will be available to play all 14 of the Hurricanes home and away games before returning to play for Proteas duty against England during the limited-overs portion of their tour to South Africa.

The Proteas star joins Afghan Qais Ahmad as the club’s second overseas signing for BBL|09.

The Hobart Hurricanes BBL|09 campaign begins on 20 December against the Sydney Sixers at Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

Brisbane Heat and the Sydney Thunder kick off BBL|09 on 17 December at The Gabba.

DMCA.com Protection Status

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

African News

At least 10 killed in eastern DRC by ADF militia

Published

on

By

At least 10 civilians were killed in two attacks by militia gunmen in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, where government forces have vowed to root out armed groups, sources said on Wednesday.

Seven people were killed in the city of Beni and between three and 14 were killed near Oicha, 30km away, according to the UN radio Okapi, which quoted the military, and local civil society.

The attacks late Tuesday were blamed on the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a militia of Ugandan origin targeted by an army campaign to restore peace to DRC’s troubled east.

Around 10 people were also kidnapped, sources in the local NGOs said.

In Oicha, “a Catholic church and 14 houses were burned down,” said civil society worker Teddy Kataliko.

“There’s been non-stop firing of heavy- and light-calibre weapons,” a Catholic cleric in Beni told AFP during the night. “I don’t know if we are going to get out alive.”

At least 60 people have been killed by the ADF since the offensive in North Kivu province began on October 30, according to a toll compiled by AFP.

Commentators see the massacres as warnings to the local population against collaborating with government forces.

Beni, a trading hub of around 100,000 people, lies in an area that has long been troubled by the ADF.

It also sits in the heart of DR Congo’s Ebola zone, and is the site of a base used by the UN’s peacekeeping force.

Local anger 

The latest attacks sparked an exodus in the Beni district of Boikene and in the Mavete district of Oichi.

Protests erupted against poor security, and members of the UN peacekeeping force, Monusco, were advised not to go out on the streets of Beni.

The force’s base is at the airport, around 10km from the city centre.

Kataliko said the authorities had been tipped off by local people as early as last Friday about the presence of armed men near Oicha.

“The public are afraid of the ADF infiltrating towns in the region,” he said. “You can sense when they are in the town. They are in disguise.”

Anger has been building since the start of the army’s campaign over the choice of tactics.

The offensive has focussed on the area around Beni rather than on the so-called “triangle of death” farther north around Oicha, where the ADF has its reputed stronghold.

The ADF’s historical roots lie in Islamist Ugandans opposed to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni.

The group has plagued the North Kivu region bordering Uganda since the Congo Wars in the 1990s, although its membership has since broadened to non-Ugandans and it has not carried out an attack on Uganda for years.

Hundreds of deaths have been attributed to the shadowy organisation since 2015.

The so-called Islamic State group has claimed some of the attacks ascribed to the ADF this year, but there is no clear evidence of any affiliation between the two groups.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending