Connect with us

News

Youth jailed for 17 years after killing college student at Caribbean J’Ouvert

Published

on

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

NEW YORK (CMC) — A judge on Friday sentenced a Brooklyn youth to 17 1/3 years in jail for killing a 22-year-old college student just before the Caribbean J’Ouvert festival in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn began in 2016.

Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Donald Leo imposed the stiff sentence on Regional Moise, 20, for shooting in the head, at point-blank range, Tiarah Poyau, a graduate student in accounting at St. John’s University in Jamaica, Queens, New York.

The incident took place on September 5, 2016, Poyau died after she was taken to the nearby Kings County hospital in central Brooklyn.

Police said Moise was intoxicated at the time of the shooting, but jurors found him guilty of criminally negligent homicide, reckless endangerment, and weapons possession in Poyau’s shooting death. He was acquitted of the more serious charge of murder.

“This is the most tragic case I’ve ever come across,” said Justice Leo before imposing the sentence on Moise. “In one selfish act of idiocy, you destroyed the incredibly bright future of a promising young woman.”

The victim’s family had pleaded with Justice Leo to sentence Moise to consecutive — no concurrent — sentences, as Moise’s lawyers had requested.

“Criminally negligent homicide is a slap in the face, your honour,” Poyau’s mother, Valerie Brown, told the court before Moise’s sentence. “It’s really an insult, not just to me but to my whole entire family. Please, I beg of you, please see fit to give him the maximum that is allowed for each charge.”

Before he was taken away in handcuffs, Moise apologised to the victim’s family.

“I’m sorry to Ms Brown and the Poyau family for all stuff y’all have been going through,” he told the court.

After the sentence, Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement that “this defendant fired four shots during what was a joyous cultural celebration, tragically killing Tiarah Poyau, a completely innocent bystander with a promising life ahead of her.

“It is a miracle that no one else was struck,” he added. “Today’s sentence delivered a measure of justice for Tiarah’s heartbroken mother, family and many friends, and a clear message that gun violence will not be tolerated at J’ouvert.”

In recent years, the Caribbean J’ouvert festival — which precedes the annual West Indian Day Carnival Parade on Brooklyn’s Eastern Parkway, considered the largest carnival parade in North America — has been plagued with violence.

In September 2015, Carey Gabay, 43, a Jamaican former legal aide to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, was shot in the head in a crossfire. He was walking home when gunfire erupted between two rival gangs outside the Ebbets Field Houses in Crown Heights during the Caribbean J’ouvert celebration on Labor Day, the first Monday in September. Labour Day is celebrated as a public holiday in America.

In July last year, a 12-member jury found two men not guilty in Gabay’s shooting death, but jurors found one man, Micah Alleyne, 26, guilty of manslaughter.

Alleyne, of Jamaica, Queens, was also found guilty of criminal possession of a weapon, while Stanley Elianor, 27, of Brooklyn, was convicted of reckless endangerment.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

News

Vendors lament poor sales at PNP conference

Published

on

By

Vendors lament poor sales at PNP conference

BY KIMONE FRANCIS
Senior staff reporter
francisk@jamaicaobserver.com

Monday, September 23, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

LIKE the more than 20 other vendors who were hoping to benefit from sales at yesterday’s People’s National Party (PNP) Annual Conference, Eileen left the National Arena in Kingston feeling disappointed.

The sparse crowd that converged on the grounds outside of the venue, which traditionally hosts major political conferences annually, was an early indication.

Few showed interest in the offerings on sale, and those who did relied on a cup of soup or two before turning to marijuana, grabba leaf or alcohol.

“A the worse sales this mi ever see. Nothing not selling; no chicken, no food. Mi nuh know a what going on. Mi prepare fi the whole conference and nobody a buy nothing. Nuh food nuh sell; nuh action naah gwaan today. We just a watch fi see if when it over, when the people dem a come out, fi see if dem want anything; we might get some more sale,” Eileen, who had prepared fried chicken, pork and soup for sale told the Jamaica Observer.

“Mi come here every conference and this one is the worst. It nuh hot fi mi at all. I wasn’t expecting this. Ask anybody, this nuh look good,” she added.

While several party supporters stood behind metal barriers fixated on a display screen set up just outside the arena and police personnel directed crowd movement, Conroy Taylor looked for his next customer.

“Mi deh a PNP conference today, you understand, ah the worst PNP conference with spending. The people dem nuh have the funding; we see it. We haffi drop all price fi do better. Mi waan know what happen to the country. We need some upliftment, because we work hard and we naah get the opportunity. This a the worst conference, mi a tell you. Mi nuh know ’bout the support, but with the spending fi the higgler dem we nuh mek nuh money,” Taylor, otherwise known as “Soupy”, lamented, mentioning that soup prices were cut by 50 per cent to encourage customers.

Latoya’s mind appeared to be elsewhere when the Observer approached her seated across from the National Arena. She was flanked by soup and food vendors but her somewhat exclusive commodity failed to attract much customers.

Liquor lined two plastic tables joined at the ends behind which she sat on a metal chair.

“We don’t know if it (sales) will increase by later, but it’s just not working right now. Every year we come here, but it’s the first it has been like this. Normally you could count on this event to make something, but today is different, so I don’t know. We’re hoping things will pick up. Last year was much better. This has been the slowest year,” she stressed.

Mere metres away from Latoya, a group of men and one woman indulged in a game of Crown and Anchor.

According to one of the men, they were simply enjoying the vibes and “supporting” their political representatives.

Amid the frolic, a female vendor who asked to be identified only as “Do Road” expressed frustration with the day’s progress.

“The last conference a did better, better conference. You know? A mussi because the party divided and the people dem nuh come out, but it naah happen. Today just nuh ready; a the worst conference this. Mi a sell from mi a pickney and mi a come PNP conference fi years now and mi never see nothing like this yet; a just the worst. That’s all mi can say,” the woman told the Observer.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

PHOTO: Cleaning the coast

Published

on

By

PHOTO: Cleaning the coast

Monday, September 23, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘ + activeFrame.title + ‘
‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

Allan Lewis (third right), managing director, JN Fund Managers, gets support from Stacey-Ann Mighty Whyte (left), Patrick Whyte, and Javine Heath from Allman Town Primary School in collecting recyclable plastics along the Palisados strip in Kingston on International Coastal Clean-up Day last Saturday. (Photo: Joseph Wellington)


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

Crown, prosecution again haggle over document disclosure

Published

on

By

Crown, prosecution again haggle over document disclosure

BY JONATHAN MORRISON
Observer writer

Monday, September 23, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

MANDEVILLE, Manchester — Despite consensus at last Thursday’s hearing in Porus on the management of the large volume of documents related to the Manchester Municipal Corporation fraud trial, Friday’s sitting of the parish court in Mandeville was again marked by lengthy wrangling over document disclosure.

There was much back and forth between the team of attorneys, representing the eight defendants, and the two Crown counsel marshalling the evidence on behalf of the prosecution.

Parish Court Judge Ann Marie Grainger, in seeking to resolve the issue, referred to a ruling she made at a previous sitting that at no time should the prosecution bring into evidence any document or other exhibit that had not been shared beforehand with the defence.

At the Porus courthouse last Thursday, defence attorney Danielle Archer had suggested that in the interest of time and efficiency documents of like nature could be bundled and presented at once for identification and verification by witnesses, as opposed to handing each, one at a time, to the witness.

At the time Judge Grainger had thanked the defence for their co-operation in offering a suggestion that would speed up the prosecution’s examination of witnesses.

However, in Mandeville on Friday the Crown’s examination of two prosecution witnesses was repeatedly halted by objections from the defence. The objections were based on the issue of documents and, in one instance, a compact disc that the defence team either had not received or felt had not come to hand in a timely manner, but which the Crown was relying on as evidence.

In the end it was not clear whether the prosecution’s examination of the witnesses had been discontinued on account of the objections or if the Crown counsel had completed their examination.

The eight accused individuals are on trial for the alleged misappropriation of more than $400 million of public funds from the corporation. They are all facing charges including forgery, conspiracy to defraud and obtaining money under false pretence.

The trial resumes today at the Mandeville courthouse.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending