Connect with us

News

Gov’t happy there is no cap on Windrush compensation

Published

on

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

THE Senate on Friday welcomed news that the British Government will not be placing a cap on amounts which will ultimately be paid out to the victims of the Windrush immigration dbcle.

Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Senator Kamina Johnson Smith said that the ministry was pleased to note that, while the public announcements indicated that compensation was valued at 200 million, the British Government will not put caps on the amounts which will ultimately be paid out to individuals.

“With the announcement of the scheme, it is now possible for persons who have been affected by the crisis to submit claims and to receive compensation in various categories from the British Government, if the claims are successful,” she noted.

Senator Johnson Smith also welcomed the provision of information on the British Home Office’s website which outlines the scope and parameters of the compensation scheme, and encouraged individuals who have been affected to submit their claims.

She said that the ministry will examine the provisions and operationalisation of the scheme in greater detail, in consultation with the Attorney General’s Chamber.

“In the interim, we will ensure that those Jamaicans who sought assistance when the crisis came to our attention last year are made aware of how they may pursue their claims. We will also be placing an ad in the newspapers and on our website, as we did last year, when seeking to help persons understand if they might be eligible for re-entry, etcetera,” Senator Johnson Smith said.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

News

UK’s Johnson ‘very worried’ about trade tensions, tariff hikes

Published

on

By

UK’s Johnson ‘very worried’ about trade tensions, tariff hikes

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

BIARRITZ, France (AFP) — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Saturday that he was “very concerned” about the trade tensions between the US and China, saying their tit-for-tat tariff hikes were harmful for the global economy.

“I’m very worried about the way it’s going, the growth of protectionism, of tariffs that we’re seeing,” Johnson said as he arrived at the G7 summit in the French resort of Biarritz, where he was to make his full international debut as Britain’s premier.

“Those who support tariffs are at risk of incurring the blame for the downturn in the global economy,” he said. “This is not the way to proceed.”

The question of tariffs is of particular concern for Johnson as he prepares to lead Britain out of the EU with the prospect of a no-deal Brexit on October 31 looking increasingly likely — which experts warn would cost both sides dearly.

His remarks echoed earlier warnings from the European Union, which warned that the escalating trade spat between Washington and Beijing could drive economies around the world into recession.

“Trade wars will lead to recession, while trade deals will boost the economy,” EU President Donald Tusk as G7 leaders descended on Biarritz for a three-day summit.

French President Emmanuel Macron, who is hosting the summit, also weighed in, saying trade tensions were “bad for everyone”.

“We have to achieve some form of de-escalation, stabilise things, and avoid this trade war that is taking place all over,” he said, just hours after Trump threatened to impose heavy punitive tariffs on France over its tax on US tech giants.

Trade disputes appear set to dominate the agenda of this year’s G7 summit, with Tusk and Macron warning that an ambitious deal between the EU and Latin America’s Mercosur bloc was at risk over Brazil’s response to wildfires in the Amazon.

But Tusk also said the EU would respond in kind if the US imposed tariffs on French wine.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

Trump names Jamaica among illicit drug producing nations

Published

on

By

Trump names Jamaica among illicit drug producing nations

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

WASHINGTON, United States (CMC) — The United States has named four Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries as major drug transit or illicit drug producing countries.

President Donald Trump in his “Presidential Determination on Major Drug Transit or Major Illicit Drug Producing Countries for Fiscal Year 2020,” named The Bahamas, Belize, Haiti and Jamaica.

The other countries named by Trump are Afghanistan, Bolivia, Burma, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Laos, Mexico, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, and Venezuela.

In his statement, Trump noted that a country’s presence on the foregoing list is not necessarily a reflection of its government’s counter narcotics efforts or level of cooperation with the United States.

“The reason countries are placed on the list is the combination of geographic, commercial, and economic factors that allow drugs to transit or be produced, even if a government has engaged in robust and diligent narcotics control measures.”

Trump said his administration has devoted unprecedented resources to combating the scourge of illicit drugs in the United States.

He said this includes strengthening the US borders and expanding programmes to prevent illicit drug use and aid the recovery and treatment of those who need it.

“We are making steady progress to turn the tide of our country’s drug epidemic, but more needs to be accomplished. This includes further efforts beyond our nation’s borders, by governments of countries where dangerous illegal drugs originate,” he said.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

News

India 14-0 at lunch, lead Windies by 89 runs

Published

on

By

India 14-0 at lunch, lead Windies by 89 runs

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘ + activeFrame.title + ‘
‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

NORTH SOUND, Antigua and Barbuda (AFP) — India were 14 without loss in their second innings, a lead of 89 runs, at lunch on the third day of the first Test at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on Saturday.

Brief scores

India 297 (A Rahane 81, R Jadeja 58, K L Rahul 44; K Roach 4-66) and 14-0 v West Indies 222 (R Chase 48; I Sharma 5-43)

Toss: West Indies


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Trending