Illegal dump operator for court March 16

Illegal dump operator for court March 16

BY RACQUEL PORTER
Observer staff reporter
porterr@jamaicaobserver.com

Friday, March 01, 2019

Print this page
Email A Friend!

‘);
} else {
$(“.fotorama-caption”).addClass(“remove_caption”);
}
})
.fotorama();

THE man who was hauled from his St Andrew home last week for operating an informal dump at the location is scheduled to appear in court this month.

The accused, Marlon Richards, has been charged with operating a disposal facility without a licence and refusing to comply with a removal notice.

The Jamaica Observer was told that Richards, who was admitted to Bellevue Hospital on the weekend, is expected to appear in the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court on March 16.

Last week Wednesday, the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) told the Observer that Richards offers garbage removal services and would dump the refuse at his property to avoid paying a fee to use the Riverton disposal site just outside of Kingston.

“Acting on intelligence, we came here and we saw a resident right at this premises harbouring and storing a number of different types of material — old refrigerators, engine blocks, construction debris, old bed, old mattresses, you name it, every type of material,” NSWMA regional operations manager for the parishes of Kingston and St Andrew, St Catherine, and St Thomas, Adrian Grant, said then.

The Observer was also told that the agency had issued a number of warning notices to the man, prior to his arrest, for him to desist from dumping the waste in the residential community.

When the Observer arrived at the premises shortly before midday last week, the NSWMA had removed several loads of debris from the property, which the agency said was a health hazard.

“So far we have removed eight loads and we are on the ninth one there now, and we still have a number of loads inside,” Grant explained then.

Insisting that the State had to act on the complaints, he said the operation was a multi-agency one.

“It was a serious health hazard. The people in the community they are very glad with what we are doing because of what was happening,” he said.

Some of the residents who watched the clean-up operation from behind their fences were delighted.

“Mi feel good say the place a go look nice and clean again. Nobody no like see the dump,” a woman who gave her name only as Jackie said.

Another resident, Carol Nangle, who has been living in the community for more than 30 years, said they are oftentimes verbally abused by the accused.

“He’s unapproachable. He uses a lot of bad words and threatening language. I am very happy, is like I win the lotto; I’m elated,” Nangle said.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

Source link

قالب وردپرس