Mavado’s teenage son murder trial is moving forward while the singer remains overseas.
Mavado, whose real name is David Brooks, has not been in Jamaica since June of last year when he fled the island as cops issued a warrant for his arrest. Police took his son, his brother and cousin Chase Cross into custody over the shooting death of Lorenzo Thomas, also known as ‘Israel’ or ‘Trulups’ in Cassava Piece, St. Andrew. Thomas was killed at his home in the community just days after Mavado was shot in during a domestic dispute.
While the other men were eventually released from police custody, the dancehall singjay’s son was held without bail. He was jointly charged with Andre Hines for Thomas’ murder. The two men were charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder, shooting with intent, illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, and arson.
According to the police report, Thomas door was kicked in on June 5, 2018, while he was asleep. Cops say he was chopped and shot to death and later beheaded and his home set ablaze. Police say they have text message evidence linking Mavado’s son to the murder. “Memba di boss want him head,” the text message allegedly reads.
An alleged police witness also told cops that Mavado’s son was the one who gave the order to kill Thomas. The teenager’s attorney, Bert Samuels, says that the murder case was referred to the Supreme Court for trial. The teenager is currently held in a juvenile detention center in Kingston without bail.
“The problem with getting bail for him was that he came before the court with murder and three other charges,” Samuels said.
Detectives are still interested in speaking with Mavado about the case, but the singer is currently in the United States where he is a legal permanent resident.