The secretary of the commission of inquiry into state capture Dr Khotso De Wee has taken special leave from the commission following an allegation that he received bribes from Bosasa.
The allegation, which emerged on Friday, stems from day three of former Bosasa chief operating officer (COO) Angelo Agrizzi’s testimony. Agrizzi testified that he was informed that De Wee is one of several senior officials at the department of justice and constitutional development who received bribes so that Bosasa can be awarded a tender in 2013.
This tender was to supply various courts with security systems.
The bribe was allegedly given to De Wee during his tenure as COO of the department.
Before being appointed to the commission, De Wee was the executive director of Fort Hare Solutions and was previously the acting secretary-general in the Office of the Chief Justice before joining the private sector.
Agrizzi also said that he cannot confirm what he was told because had no other information.
Agrizzi has spent the past three days detailing, in damning detail, the operations the company undertook to obtain the cash it would use to allegedly bribe officials with whom it was doing business.
In a statement issued by the commission during Agrizzi’s evidence, chairperson of the commission, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, noted the allegation and “brought it to Dr De Wee’s attention”. According to Zondo, De Wee said “he was never at any stage paid any money by Bosasa or by anybody from Bosasa including the person mentioned in Mr Agrizzi’s affidavit.”
The commission, through its own investigators, will conduct a probe into these allegations.
Zondo, in the statement, further said that “in the light of this and the seriousness of the allegation against him”, De Wee has offered to take special leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
The secretary’s special leave will commence on January 22 to allow the commission some time to appoint someone to take on the position in an acting role.
Read the commission’s media statement here: