Connect with us

TRINIDAD NEWS

Ishawna & Masicka Confirms Relationship After Months Of Rumors

Published

on

Ishawna has confirmed her relationship with Masicka after months of rumors.

Since last year, Ishawna and Masicka have been rumored to be dating, and now they’re finally stepping out of the shadows as dancehall’s newest power couple. Urban Islandz first reported last year that solid sources spilled the beans on their relationship. The couple managed to keep their relationship under wraps for the most part, except when some random photos would surface online showing them together.

On Tuesday, Ishawna posted a few pics of herself and Masicka on her Instagram while wishing the Genahsyde deejay a happy birthday. “Happy Birthday to a king,” she wrote along with a king, crocodile, and heart emoji. The “Infrared” deejay liked the post but didn’t comment.


Masicka is celebrating his 25th birthday today, December 4, 2018. He has been in the United States for the past few weeks tour and has a show this weekend in San Diego, as well as, more shows coming up in New York and Boston.

Ishawna and Masicka have previously collaborated on singles like “Regardless” and “Answer Me” for which they released a music video in May of last year. “You know me love you in a real life don’t?” the Genahsyde boss said in the intro of the song.


Source link

قالب وردپرس

TRINIDAD NEWS

Guyana’s Election Commission Says it Can’t Hold Elections by March

Published

on

By

GEORGETOWN, Guyana, Wednesday February 20, 2019 – The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) says it
cannot hold elections by next month, the deadline by which polls should be conducted
following the coalition government’s loss of a no-confidence motion last
December.

The seven-member commission – comprised
of three government-nominated commissioners, three commissioners nominated by
the main opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) and a chairman – yesterday
voted to formally advise that it cannot hold elections by March 19. One of the three
opposition-nominated commissioners abstained from the vote on that issue, while
the other two voted against.

Under the Constitution, elections should
be held within 90 days after the passage of a no-confidence motion unless an extension
is agreed to by at least two-thirds of the members in the National Assembly.

But GECOM said it does not have the
necessary funding.

On that issue, as well as the vote on GECOM
continuing with its work plan for 2019 – which includes the start of the
house-to-house registration process, for which budgetary allocations were
already made – all three opposition commissioners voted against and the chairman
used his tie-breaking vote to side with the commissioners nominated by the
Government.

With regards to the possibility of
using monies allocated for the house-to-house registration for an election, Chief
Elections Officer Keith Lowenfield approached the Ministry of Finance for
advice.

The Guyana Chronicle quoted him as
saying that: “Based on the advice that we got from the Ministry of Finance, we
do not have the resources, the monies to run an election at this time….They
have indicated that we cannot use the money for registration to move it over to
elections. What we have to do is go back to the National Assembly for a special
appropriation for elections.”

Acting Chief Justice Roxane
George-Wiltshire last month ruled that the no-confidence motion against
government, passed on December 21, 2018 when then government backbencher Charrandass
Persaud voted with the Opposition, was valid, and elections should therefore be
held.

However, government is appealing the decision.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

TRINIDAD NEWS

Trinidad Police Capture Most Wanted Man

Published

on

By

Handcuffed Prisoner

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Monday February 18, 2019 – One of Trinidad and
Tobago’s most wanted men has been captured.

The
Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) did not identify the man but said in
a statement yesterday that he was wanted in connection with a number of shootings
and shooting-related offences.

The
30-year-old suspect was held during ‘Operation Strike Back’ exercises on
Saturday, following intense surveillance. He was arrested for possession of a
Glock 17 pistol, a magazine containing eight rounds of 9mm ammunition, an
extended magazine, and 32 rounds of 9mm ammunition.

Police
said two reputed gang leaders have also been charged for various offences.

In its
statement, the TTPS noted that over the past five days since the police alert
was raised to its highest level in light of an upsurge in criminal activity, “there
was not a homicide, shooting or wounding attributed to gang-related activity,
while in the five days prior to the raising of the police alert state to ‘Red’
there were 22 such incidents”.

More
than 250 people have been arrested in connection with various offences
including gang activity, shootings, outstanding warrants and gun and narcotic
possession in anti-crime exercises that began since late last week.

Police Commissioner Gary Griffith has put law abiding citizens on notice that they may experience some inconvenience due to these intensified operations, but said it was necessary to deal with criminal activity and to maintain law and order across the country.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

TRINIDAD NEWS

International Aid Feeds Hope and Fuels Confrontation in Venezuela

Published

on

By

“Humanitarian aid now. We need it,” read a banner during a massive demonstration in Caracas on Feb. 12, demanding that international aid blocked at the border of neighboring countries be allowed into the country. The demonstrations were held in 50 towns and cities around the country, in support of Juan Guaidó as acting president and demanding that President Nicolás Maduro step down. (Credit: Humberto Márquez/IPS)

CARACAS, Venezuela, Monday February 18, 2019 (IPS) – The international food and medical aid awaiting entry into Venezuela from neighboring Colombia, Brazil and Curacao is at the crux of the struggle for power between President Nicolás Maduro and opposition leader Juan Guaidó, recognized as “legitimate president” by 50 governments.

The current situation “offers advantages to Guaidó. It is trying to break the ties between Maduro and the armed forces through the pressure to receive humanitarian aid,” Argentine analyst Andrei Serbin Pont, director of the Regional Coordinator of Economic and Social Research, a Latin American academic network, told IPS.

Serbin said Guaidó should secure the so-far reluctant participation of the Red Cross and the United Nations with respect to getting the aid into the country because “by definition humanitarian aid cannot have political objectives,” which are clearly present in the cooperation offered by governments of the Americas and Europe that refuse to recognize Maduro as the legitimately re-elected president.

President Maduro said: “It is not humanitarian aid but a rotten gift, which carries within the poison of humiliation of our people and serves as a prelude to military intervention. If the United States wants to help us, the blockade, the financial persecution and the economic sanctions against Venezuela should cease.”

U.S. President Donald Trump and several of his Latin America policy advisers repeat the mantra that “Maduro must go,” and that Washington “does not rule out any option, including the military option” with respect to Venezuela.

The Venezuelan armed forces, which have reiterated their loyalty to Maduro, have been deployed in territorial defence exercises since late January, have blocked road access from Colombia, and are ready to prevent any attempt to bring in the controversial aid shipments.

In the midst of one of the multitudinous street demonstrations that the opposition has held in recent weeks, Guaidó announced that “humanitarian aid is going to come in, no ifs ands or buts. I have given the order to the armed forces to allow it to enter” on February 23.

The unprecedented situation in which Venezuela finds itself, with two supposed presidents, is due to the fact that the opposition and many governments consider invalid the May 2018 elections in which Maduro, 56, was elected for a second six-year term on January 10, and refuse to recognize him as president.

In response, the opposition-dominated National Assembly, considered to be in a state of rebellion by the other branches of government, decided that its president, the 35-year-old Guaidó, would be acting president of Venezuela, starting on January 23.

The border city of Cúcuta in northeastern Colombia has already received 500 tons of medicines and nutritional supplements, while Guaidó announced new collection centers in the state of Roraima in northern Brazil and on the neighboring Dutch island of Curacao, where 90 tons are expected from France, opposition deputy Stalin González told the media.

The aid accumulated so far “consists of emergency medicines and supplements for children under three years of age with severe malnutrition, pregnant or nursing mothers, and the elderly,” Julio Castro, leader of the non-governmental organisation Doctors for Health, told IPS.

The medical aid, according to Castro, “10 percent of what is urgently needed,” for some 300,000 patients, will go to public hospitals and will be distributed by NGOs and religious organisations, with the support of thousands of volunteers responding to the opposition’s call.

Gonzalez said there are already 250,000 volunteers mobilized around the country, including 10,000 health professionals.

An immediate effect of the bid for aid has been that the government has increased in recent days the delivery of apparently stockpiled medicines and supplies to several public hospitals, according to workers at several hospitals in Caracas and other cities.

People like Natalia Vargas, 39, a bank clerk and diabetes patient, hope that “if emergency help arrives, then other medicines that are scarce because they are imported can come. And when you get them, they’re too expensive.”

“I hope that the politicians and the military will reach an agreement to bring in the aid,” she told IPS at her home in La Candelaria, a traditional lower-middle-class neighourhood in central Caracas.

The international aid initiatives are in response to the social and economic collapse that has occurred in Venezuela since Maduro first came to power in 2013, unprecedented due to the fact that it happened in an oil-rich country and because of the speed of the collapse, without no natural catastrophe or war.

During the last five years and while some three million people left the country, more than 80 percent of Venezuela’s 31 million inhabitants were left in poverty and unable to acquire enough food and the medicines they need, in addition to hyperinflation since 2017, according to the Study on Living Conditions conducted by three of the country’s leading universities.

In the same period, the economy shrunk to half its size, GDP plunged 56 per cent, 210,000 of the 490,000 companies in the country closed, half of the industrial park has been operating at 20 per cent of capacity, and local agriculture can barely provide 25 per cent of the necessary food, according to the 2018 year-end report of the Fedecámaras central business chamber.

The deficit of medicines in pharmacies remains has stood at 85 per cent since last year, the president of the Federation of Pharmacists, Freddy Ceballos, said on February 13.

From the town of Cúa, near the east of the capital, Nadine Cubas, 71, who suffers from hypertension and glaucoma, told IPS that “we are far from the border, that aid may not reach the valleys of the Tuy River, where we are, but if it supplies the people in the west then there is a better chance of getting medicines here.”

Cubas added that “the struggle over the aid makes many local residents here see that there is hope that this time the opposition will bring about change; people now see light at the end of the tunnel.”

What the opposition is counting on is this: if the government lets the aid in, it will show weakness and a division in the support of the military, with an unpredictable domino effect, and if it does not allow it in, it will look like an inhumane clique of leaders whose only concern is to hold onto power, opposition deputies Julio Borges and Juan Miguel Matheus told reporters.

This position is in line with the demand that the entry of aid be a first step for the Venezuelan crisis to lead to elections for a new government, as demanded by the United States, the Lima Group of 12 countries from the hemisphere and the majority of the European Union, against opposition by other governments, such as those of China, Cuba, Iran, Russia and Turkey, or calls for a search for a middle path, issued by Mexico and Uruguay.

Borges and Gonzalez said the humanitarian aid that has accumulated will be followed by more aid as the political game unfolds in Venezuela.

Governments such as those of Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Puerto Rico and the United States, plus the Organisation of American States, have offered more than US$200 million in assistance.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Continue Reading

Upcoming African-Caribbean Events

May
4
Sat
2019
1:30 am 1st Annual JouvertRadio Caribbea... @ In The Maryland Area
1st Annual JouvertRadio Caribbea... @ In The Maryland Area
May 4 @ 1:30 am – 8:15 pm
1st Annual JouvertRadio Caribbean Cookoff @ In The Maryland Area
#EATCARIBBEAN J’Ou,VertRadio’s 1st ANNUAL CARIBBEAN COOK OFF!! ONLY CARIBBEAN DISHES The Caribbean Cook off is a celebration and a contest of the DMV’s number one consumed food. The most talented chefs, mom & pop cooks[...]

Trending